Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Some poor sod got stuck in the lift at the metro and they sent out the fire brigade and the worst two euros one could ever spend

Now, remember having those German lessons a while back, being all inspired to learn another language as we gathered around the dining room table. I have found those evening extremely useful while I was here and I believe on one solitary experience we should take them up again!

On a mission as this is my last day in beautiful wintery Europe. I decided this morning I would do the tourist things and then have some of the things that Austria is renown for. I left the hotel early as I was eager to find the state opera house and make sure the tickets I had booked over the net were all fine. On appearing into the world after having been on two underground rides I was greeted by a cheerful elf like being with a bright yellow winter jacket and matching Santa Claus floopy elf hat. I was entirely envious and soon discovered that he was the ticket seller for the tour company that I had booked on and he told me everything I needed to know, when to board the hop on hop off bus, where I could catch the trams. A very pleasant chap.

I then did the two tours on the bus that took me past stadt park, past where mozart was buried, or so I understood. The opera house, the old stock exchange that had to move as the rent was to expensive. The rauthaus as well. It was great fun. I then dashed off the bus and hopped on the tram where I got my own ear phones and there it told me that back in the day, let's say the late 18hundreds, all the artist types used to gather and enjoy a caffe and an apfel strudel. So now my course was set. I would have apfel strudel with my lunch. I jumped off next to the danube and scrambled up the hill, I think the only hill I have encountered in the centre of town. On the top was the oldest church in Vienna, a hugely characteristic church with vines growing the whole way up the steeple. With walls around it crumbling due to the second world war. After snapping a few shots I headed into town after realising I was close to the centre of town, I would hunt a strudel down.

I then settled for the option of a take away strudel and a croissant as I sat and admired the cathedral. Finding a bakery, I went in and ordered a shicken ei croissant and an apfel strudel and off I went to sit in the courtyard looking onto the magnificent St Stephan's cathedral. Now breakfast was a long time ago, so I took a huge bite, hungrily devouring a big bit into the croissant... And munch munch I happened to look down. And thank the POPE I did at that precise moment as there sitting eyeing me out was an ei... Now in my lessons I didn't recall that word coming up... At all! I would have taken note.... An ei, in english is an EGG... A boiled egg had graced my croissant and I nearly bit into it. I should have taken note when the lady had double checked that I was sure what I was ordering... I should have known she could see I wasn't into eggs! Fortunately for the goens of St Stephan's Cathedral square they had a feast, a two euro feast and I had to settle for my apfel strudel after the near-egg experience!

I then wondered back onto the tram for more the reason that the seats were heated and it was about zero degrees standing around. And also I had set myself a deadline of I had to have taken all my pix by 4pm as at 4pm I was going on the Reisenrad, the giant ferris wheel!

I jumped back on the tram and did an entire loop so I knew exactly where I would jump off and then jump back on again. First stop was the statue of Mozart and the wonderful grounds where he was supposedly laid to rest, then back on the tram to take a pic of Johan Strauss where he was forever playing the violin. So I waited, and waited for the tram but nothing came, I back tracked my steps along the tram line thinking I could intercept the tram but alas... No tram... So I wondered all the way round stopping and managing to get some extra snaps as well so I think it was a blessing in disguise.

I found Johan where I had last seen him. Playing his violin. As I wandered up to him, the whole of tokyo arrived and did a whole modelling session, this one doing that pose, the family pose... Oh, wait I want to pose with my peace sign. Blah blah blah, and then I heard it... Qingdoa all over again, the hooik back... and.... Spit... I am even cringing as I type... And then the same old man let out an almighty fart, I was even embarrassed. I would have to say he blew his trumpet loud and clear!!! Yuk.... For me to say that, it must have been revolting....

Having snapped the last of my collection of statue pix I then dashed off to the underground as I was now 15minutes late for my ferris wheel ride... Approaching I got side tracked by yet another statue, so on my second approach to the underground, I made way for a fire engine with flashing lights but no sirens. They jumped the robot, and they were off. As I rounded the corner there they all were, out of the truck and standing at the lift, memories of tante gerda and onkel hans sitting having there five o'clock coffee everyday watching the same police car with sirens go past to beat the traffic, this thought came into my mind-the suckers all knocking off work and are now catching the elevator down to the underground, they can't even walk... But then to my amusement I discovered that in actual fact some poor bean or beans were actually stuck in the lift and they were running around attempting to rescue the person or people. I was tempted to take a pic but thought that was a bit too chinese even for my standards...

I then disappeared to catch the metro to the ferris wheel only to have my fears come true. The cold mist that had been lurking all day and had been growing thicker all afternoon and had grounded all ferris wheel flights... So my adventure up in the sky didn't come true and I am not sure if it will tomorrow either as I need to leave the hotel at 11 and I am two trains away from the city, so I think it won't be happening...

I then returned into the city, walking to my favourite spot, St Stephens and while I was wondering around I discovered a man selling Gluhwein and weiner wurstwors, so I stopped to sampled the local tastes and instantly loved the gluhwein, adrian would love it to! After that I ventured further into the heart of Vienna.

So, I decided to treat myself to another sky ride and have just completed dinner in the sky cafe, if I glimpse to my left, wait-yes there it is. The steeple of the St Stephan's Cathedral and the gothic roof are at eye level to where I have munched a Wiener Schintzel and drunk an exquisite glass of red wine. Even steph would approve, I think... So the end of my adventure in Vienna is slowly drawing to a close.

I have ventured down onto the square to enjoy the sounds and sights of vienna in the evening and sitting on a bench I have just witnessed a shop window exploding, literally... Glass all over the boardwalk, so on that shattering note, I am heading to enjoy the sights of the Danube as the shop lady sweeps up piles and piles of glass.

Martin from the Czech Republic working on his magnificent artwork.

The Giant Ferris Wheel

No comments:

Post a Comment