Wednesday, August 1, 2012

I have a living room! And thinking of sacrificing a pillow to attach to the gong...

So I am now sitting on the border of Hungary and Austria. I actually went into Hungary good and proper and it was all my beanies fault!!!

Starting to think my kiwi beanie wants to part ways. It jumped out my pocket when I was buying my train ticket from the automatic machine that gives no info. I only by chance discovered it had jumped cause I could find nothing on the board about Sopron, so went back to the automachine to find the coca-cola man picking it up, shaking his head and putting it on the dustbin lid... Bad beanie!
On my ticket it has zone 7 so I went to platform 7 and waited... And waited.
Nothing came up on the board so googled the train route and discovered that the train on the other platform started me off in the right direction. So I trapsed up and down the stairs to platform six and found an actual person.
He told me why don't I just go to platform eight and catch that train that takes me straight to Sopron. So I did just that. I jumped onto the train without checking anything and for 70minutes I sat there praying I was going in the right direction... Eventually the robot lady told me that Sopron, pronounced Shoupron. So I gathered Pooh Bear and Big Bag and got off walking confidently towards the ausgang. Only to think, SHIT... I put kiwi beanie on top of my bag and slung bag over shoulder so kiwi beanie must have gone flying... I ran onto the train through the compartments only to discover out the corner of my eye as I was chanting... Where did I sit, where did I sit..
There was kiwi beanie sitting on big bag between me and the bag... So ran to the door and it was a red light. Which means... Train starting to move so couldn't get off... So off we went... To the next stop. I got off and stood there. The station master came out of his hut and I asked in my best German (even though I am in Hungary) which train to Shoupron. He pointed at the train I had just got off... So I jumped on and was surrounded by kids.
So I got to Shoupron, for the second time. I even knew which side of the train to get off... Experienced at travelling to Shoupron I am... And off I go to find a local telephone box... It tells me to put in 50frk... I only have Euros... So I put it in anyway. Dial the number for the taxi only to have martian language at a pace tell me something... So I put the phone down. Off I go to find the information to ask how I can get to Temple Street when I see through the train station doors a taxi drive past... So I go flying out the door to hail the taxi that is now driving off into the distance... And then I turm my head to see a whole row of taxis and their drivers all just looking at me...
So I stood tall and went to the front taxi and gave him the hotel confirmation and asked alles gut, thumbs up? Answer was ja, and the taxi driver grabbed my bag and off we went. Three bloacks down I get spat out. On the meter says 12.70 euros. I give it to the man thinking I am so walking back to the station, and he shakes his head. Nein nein, and gives my change and takes the tenner and then proceeds to give me more change. 5 euro for the ride and he carried my bag as well :) so I think I will take a taxi back to the train station in two days time!
Anyways. I have landed in a dear quaint little village. Bout to head out and explore. Taxi is booked to take me to the basketball game, courts are two minutes away by cab.
My apartment is very kewl. Got a bedroom with a single bed and a couch come day bed. Then a bath room with bath and shower. Toilet and a lounge... This is huge and for 25 euros a night, well worth it.
Am staying next to a Church with bells that work... Wondering if I can spare a pillow to tie up the gong for the middle of the night :) Off I go to hunt the gong down.
Hugs from the travelling elf, sophie and the kiwi beanie with a sense of humour...!

Winter tree in the centre of Sopron's village


MKB Passing

No comments:

Post a Comment