Wednesday, August 1, 2012

I would have to say showering under a garden tap would have been more successful!


Some might claim it was one sleep down, I would say a night passed. My room is on a wing at the end of the hotel and it seemed that if someone closed or opened the door my whole room would vibrate!

The shower was an adventure this morning; it had a bath mixer with the hand shower extending up on a pole so you could set the height. Now the mixer was waist high... And flipping the switch from mixer to shower, the water decided it didn't like the hand shower but sprouted out of the mixer regardless. So handfuls of water and lots of crouching were done to go through the daily ritual of getting oneself clean...

Once dressed and ready to face the world, I confidently marching out, I was greeted by tumbling rain which I was not dressed for, so opted to go hibernate in the breakfast hall. Seems the hotel is full with a number of people participating in a world cup of sorts. Lots of fit looking people cruising this joint!

Now, Helsinki, in a word - majestic. Flying into Finland the landscape was just forestry and green. Loads of lakes. The city is moulded between new and old and the architects have got it right where somehow it works. The Grand
Marina is situated right next to the port where all the big ferries depart and arrive and trust me they are big!

Yesterday we landed ahead of time; we had about 15 people on the plane. A quick flight from Oslo to Helsinki saw us ahead of schedule. When we landed we sat waiting for a parking bay, but looking out the window plenty were available. Then we eventually slotted into one and the jetty wasn't ready. So we waited.... Ten minutes later we were off the plane. Hooray. All of us dashing up the jetty. At the top, as you set foot on the first bit of Finnish airport, surrounded by glass doors directing passengers which way to go... As we approached the glass door that would have released us out into the world, it sharply slid closed in the direction for boarding passengers.

Seven of us were trapped for an hour while various technicians tried to open it up... Eventually we again were released to discover our bags had been removed... So, we had to trek from one terminal to the next to find our belongings. After finding our airline office, having to go through security details we met up with our bags. Mine was soaked from the downpour in Oslo but happy that we were reunited.

Having been delayed for well over an hour I took the easy option of catching a cab to the hotel. Being faced with working out the public transport was too daunting at that particular moment.

Getting to the hotel after having dropped off two other passengers who accompanied me in the taxi, I dumped my bags and went exploring. I walked along the shoreline for forty minutes until coming to a spot overlooking a small craft marina. Sitting down to enjoy a beer, coffee (this may also have been the reason I couldn't get a wink of sleep...) and a burger I merrily sat surrounded by gorgeous looking crafts. Passer byers were an interesting mix of uber smart businessmen, tanned sailors, tourists and a few well dressed homeless guys picking out glass from the rubbish bins.

On the meander home along gravel paths and cobbled streets, I was treated to a picturesque sunset with an array of pastel colours. This was close to ten in the evening?!? Totally foreign if you ask me...

People were doing yoga on the lawns lead by an African American with a booming twang of a voice. Hundreds of people were jogging, walking their sociable dogs or just sitting enjoying the evening.

We are an hour ahead of you which has made for some interesting alarm settings. The first morning at Derek and Ange's spot I had the bliss of sleeping in. Waking up at 9am and then having a leisurely breakfast that DJ had laid out, including all types of coffee, tea, cereal you name it lined the kitchen counter.

After munching and catching up on the news, I went for a slow stroll left of the High Street and coming across an immaculate church with ancient headstones dating back to the early 18th century. On the way back I stopped at Marks and Sparks for a sandwich and enjoyed it at Derek's house. After lunch I went for a stroll right of the high street coming across the lakes and the river that was littered with Canal boats. Stunning. Spent ages here, enjoying the surrounding, the ducks and the dogs - one border collie even diving into the water fetching her stick. Very cute.

On returning home, I caught up on all the news on the UK riots, which was the talk of the lakes, everyone questioning what they were really about. A horrible terror had settled on everyone, theatres not opening, football games being closed, people not going to work. Everyone really angry!

Ange arrived early an hour after I got home. DJ a half hour later who changed from his monkey suit into his after-hours gear. We pottered for a bit in the garden, and then headed back inside for a mouthwatering dinner. First night were sardines, the second chicken livers.

DJ and I chatted about cameras and I eventually retired just after 10 I think. Confidently setting my alarm.

I then tossed and turned worrying about buses, flights, transportation only to be relieved when the alarm went off. Jumping out of bed, running through the shower and packing my final things, I headed through to make some coffee only to realise that I was an hour early... So quietly turned around and headed back to my room to wait for a more sociable hour to make a noise...

Anyways, all is well. I am sitting in the hotel lobby. Bags are all packed. In forty minutes I will go for a walk to the tram station and head on to the central railway station where I will meet Helena at ten. Our train is at 11.

We are almost off to the north :)

Hugs from this side of the world :) have a great day!

A sailing boat marina with a picturesque walkway wrapping around it.

Finnish colours that brightened up every part of the city.

The sunset across the way with yet another lifeboat that was littered along the walkway.

No comments:

Post a Comment