Monday, August 27, 2012

Chatting to an Olympic Marathon Runner - Tanith Maxwell


SPAR Weekend Witness 10/5km Women’s Race
Alexandra Park: Sunday 9 September



With the country basking in the midst of the Olympic glory, the Witness had the honour of catching up with South African and Olympic marathon runner, Tanith Maxwell from Kloof yesterday (Thursday), finding out about her Olympic experience ahead of her next race in the SPAR Weekend Witness 10km on Sunday, September 9.

“The excitement and thrill of being part of such a huge event was brilliant! It's been eight years of dreaming of that moment!” a smiling Maxwell expressed.

“I was standing alongside that Olympic torch and to see all those individual flames being pulled together to unite as one big flame is something I will never forget! And stepping into that stadium, for the opening ceremony, in our brightly coloured outfits and hearing the stadium erupt was the best for me!”

Maxwell, who qualified for the marathon when she competed in the Rotterdam Marathon in April this year was one of three South African athletes to qualify, competed in the 42km race and finished the race 81st overall in a time of 2:40:27. “The weather was typical British weather, with a light rain trickling down so conditions were wet underfoot for most of the race. It wasn’t my fastest but I did my best!”

“I would have to say that my highlight of the games would be standing on the start line of my first Olympic marathon!”



“The route was magical, it took in all the famous landmarks in London! BUT the best part of the race was the support on the side - for the first 5 km I couldn't feel or hear my feet hitting the ground! I will never forget that roar and constant cheering from the crowds!”

Having run the Virgin London Marathon, she explains, “The route was very different from the Virgin London Marathon! The Olympic route was run on multiple loops, starting and finishing in The Mall, while the city marathon starts at Blackheath and finishes in The Mall.”

Revealing if she many anyone more ‘famous than  herself’ she states, “Absolutely! Being in the athletes’ village, I was able to make contact with athletes I have admired and followed with interest on TV and in magazines! I may have even asked for their autographs,” she admits, smiling. “In the dining hall I met up with Sally Pearson, the 100m hurdles gold medallist, Alyson Felix, 200 m gold medallist. I met the number one tennis player Novak Djokavic, at the opening ceremony! And at the warm-up track, Asafa Powell, Mo Farah and so many others that I cannot think of now!”

“The week after my race I spent taking in as much as I could of the Olympic atmosphere! I went to the triathlon event in Hyde Park, the walking events in The Mall and generally made the most of being in the Olympic city! There was so much happening and I made sure I was there!”

Having arrived home a few days ago, she is slowly adjusting back to reality, “It's quite tough getting back home, my ultimate dream is behind me and I need to make decisions as to where I am going from here! For the time being I just want to enjoy my running with no pressures attached! I always enjoy racing so I will incorporate some shorter races, starting with the SPAR Weekend Witness 10km race next month in Pietermaritzburg and then look to a spring marathon in Europe next year!”



Asked what is still on her bucket list, now that she has achieved her dream, “It has to be doing an ultra-marathon - I have always said that I won't stop running until I have tried the likes of a Two Oceans or a Comrades Marathon!”

“I would like to be hopefully remembered as a ' down to earth ' athlete that has represented her province and country from sub junior days. A keen competitor and someone who inspires woman to take up distance running!”
Concluding, the lean running machine enthuses, “My advice to anyone out there would be the dream is never too big or too out of reach! The only demands are 100% dedication, commitment and self-belief! With that Olympic dreams can become a reality!”

Join Tanith on September 9 for Pietermaritzburg’s most beautiful road race which begins at 08:00. Entry forms and more information is available online at www.sparwomensrace.co.za

No comments:

Post a Comment