Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Chatting to Pro Golfer, Welsh lady Sahra Hassan


Cell C SA Women’s Open
Sahra Hassan

The upbeat Welsh golfer, Sahra Hassan from Newport was back in the country to tee-off for the Cell C SA Women’s Open.

“This is my third time taking part in the SA Women’s Open,” the cheerful individual stated. “I love it but San Lameer is going to be testing! This is my first time I am playing here and it looks like a good challenge.”

“I managed to hit a few balls at the range but got drenched in the downpour; my clubs and bag are off drying at the mo. I did a bit of putting earlier as well so I am feeling good ahead of the tournament tomorrow (Thursday).”

During the build-up to the London Olympics, Hassan was awarded the 2012 United Kingdom Sportswoman of the Year by the Muslim Women’s Sports Foundation at Wembley Stadium, “It was perhaps the proudest moment of my career. I didn’t even know that I had been nominated to be honest.”

“I was up against a pro soccer player and a basketball player. I really hadn’t expected to be recognised with the award. I hadn’t even prepared a speech!” she says with a grin.


The 26year old golfer will be playing with in-form South African Nicole Garcia and French player Ariane Provot. “I was in the South of France in Biarittz two weeks ago playing in the Lacoste Ladies Open de France. I almost got a hole-in-one! It was so close, it teasingly hit the pin and frustratingly bounced out!” an animated Hassan claims.

Continuing, the relaxed player states, “I don’t have any real favourite moments that stand out for me, I have a terrible memory but had I landed that hole-in-one in France, that moment would have stood out for me!”

“I love the game because it is relaxing and yet so frustrating, it’s difficult to describe. I was a fairly decent tennis player back in the day. I got to warm-up with Serena and Venus Williams; that was really cool! When I was 13years old my tennis coach recommended I take a month off which I did. My dad was a keen golfer, so I started playing with him and have never looked back. I still play a bit of tennis with my mates when I get the time.”


Chatting about any difficulties she has had to overcome, she gently responds, “The first time I was ever challenged, I was too young to really understand what was going on. I was playing girls almost double my age. When I was about ten, I was taking on 18year olds - and I was beating them. In one instance, my opponent did take the defeat to well and resorted to a few racial remarks.”

“I didn’t retaliate, didn’t know how but those words had an impact on me!”

Coming from a very supportive close family, the optimistic sports star encourages, “What advice would I give if I were standing up in front of group of people I would tell them....RUN!” she breaks into a beaming smile and continues,  “No, just kidding. The advice is simple. Take a deep breath and try and relax. And smile!”

“I think if you really wanted to overcome adversity, the first step would be making up your mind to make a change. Like in golf, you have to be mentally strong to overcome life’s challenges. I have the support of my extended family and close friends and I am extremely fortunate to have this. Together with their support and hard work, I am able to live out my dream. How lucky am I?”

Asked what is next for her, after the Cell C SA Women’s Open, she concludes, “I head home for three weeks to rejuvenate before three more big events to end off the year. I am off to play in China in mid-November, then head to New Delhi in India at the beginning of December with my last stop for the year in Dubai.

To follow Sahra Hassan, find her on twitter: @sahra_hassan13


All pix by Justin Klusener

Chatting to her after the event, Sahra said a moment that stood out for her was the opening function - a traditional braai or BBQ. "The braai was great fun, loved the traditional food!"
In regards to her score of +4 (72, 76 & 72) she said, "I am happy with where I finished, hit the ball great all week, just couldn't buy a putt! Very frustrating as I could of finished well up there if I'd holed a few, but just didn't happen for me."
And speaking about San Lameer, the wonderful welsh lady said, "The course was great, loved it, considering the bad weather we had it was still in great condition. I just found the greens tricky!"


No comments:

Post a Comment