Thursday, October 9, 2014

Chatting to Amateur Golfer Tiffany Avern-Taplin

Suttill Art Photography

Cell C SA Women’s Open
Tiffany Avern-Taplin

South Coaster, Tiffany Avern-Taplin is rolling up her sleeves in preparation of taking on the crème-de-la-crème in this week’s Cell C SA Women’s Open.

The enthusiastic journalist at Mid-South Coast Mail, knows how to wield a golf club – well, states, “This is my second tournament in a row, I missed the tournament three years ago because I wasn’t playing my best golf!”

“A lot of effort goes into the SA Women’s tournament, last year the weather didn’t play ball with a lot of the tournament rained out. I have to admit I am looking forward to taking on the big names that play on the Ladies European Tour.”

When not putting pen to paper as a journalist, the young Southbroom resident says she loves Kareoke and spending time on the beach. She had classical voice training for nine years, “I love to sing and do so at every opportunity.”

“I remember when I was studying in the States; I was based in Ohio and travelled to North Carolina to participate in a golf tournament. Back home in the Mid-West, it was cold and when we arrived in North Carolina, the weather was warm and welcoming. I didn’t have a swimming costume but that didn’t stop me, my first opportunity I got, I ran into the ocean in my gym clothes. The experience was invigorating.”


Asked what she had learnt from her experience studying abroad, she affirms, “Everyone always talks about the Yanks as arrogant and loud, I disagree. My experience was the opposite; they are so passionate and positive in everything they do. They have such a fantastic mind set and are so supportive. Looking back, I would say that is one of the best lessons I walked away with.”

“And I got to see snow, real snow. Not just small dancing snowflakes tumbling down, proper white landscapes. That for me was a great experience and fond memory of my time over there.”

She refers to herself as a bit of nomad, “I have had the honour of moving around a fair amount and experiencing a few types of lifestyles, growing up in Ballito, studying in America. I have also lived in Johannesburg, Pretoria, Scottburgh and I now reside in Southbroom ten minutes away from the venue, San Lameer Country Club.”

“I have to say that I love the feel of being out of the rat race, the small town community vibes are fantastic and the chilled way of life, all of these aspects are appealing to me.”

On her return from America, Avern-Taplin confides, “It took me a while to get back into the swing of golf. I now play regularly in Durban at the Mount Edgecombe Country Club, the ladies league is quite competitive and I enjoy it.”

“I am in the process of taking my golf more seriously, take it up to the next level. Going head-to-head with the likes of Ashleigh Simon and Lee-Anne Pace will be fabulous for my game.”

“San Lameer is a target course, if you miss your drive or target you will have a difficutl time getting around. There is a lot of water and the wind can be testing, but I have been lucky that I live around the corner, so it is very much home ground for me!”

Next month, the ardent scribe looks forward to celebrating two years working with the Mid-Coast Mail, “No day is ever the same being a journalist, I pure love it. I try and follow the simple rules of Live Life.”

For more info visit www.sawomensopen.co.za



No comments:

Post a Comment