Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Chatting to Pro Golfer Nicole Garcia ahead of the Cell C SA Women's Open


Towards the latter part of last year, Nicole Garcia went to Tour school armed with the dream of becoming a professional golfer and she left the venue with a 9b category under her belt. The rookie golfer from the East Rand in Gauteng is now one of 11 members and one of two rookies from South Africa this season, who shows maturity well beyond her years. Grounded, passionate, determined and loving the life she lives, Garcia has had a challenging 2014 but is hoping to turn around her fortunes at the Cell C SA Women’s Open set to take place at the San Lameer Country Club from 16 to 19 October. “I can’t wait to play at home, especially because my parents will get to see me playing some good golf. I’m cautious against saying I’m expecting to win the tournament but I definitely know that I have the potential to do so.” Inspired by Justin Rose whom she believes epitomises the “never give up attitude”, Garcia took time out from her hectic schedule to share some of her experiences and her thoughts on the influence role models have on our lives...


Q: While growing up, who was your role model (non-golfer)?
A: I was obsessed with cartoons when I was growing up and all I ever thought about doing was working at Walt Disney Productions so I guess you could say my role model was Walt Disney himself.

Q: What are the qualities/traits/criteria your role model must have that are important to you?
A: For me, a role model must show absolute dedication to their sport or career; they must remember where they came from, as in be modest or humble irrespective of how successful they become. That’s really important to me because I’d like to know that I’d be able to connect to them on a normal level if I ever had the opportunity to meet him or her.

Q: Whose story inspires you to persevere when the chips are down?
A: I was told that Justin Rose had missed 19 cuts in a row so every time I miss a cut or don’t perform as well as I’d like to, I just remind myself of how successful Justin is today and it keeps me going. But, I honestly don’t know if that story is true or not.

Q: Your favourite female golfers, local or international, are...
A: I’ve had the opportunity to get to know the ladies really well both on and off the course and I have to admit that my favourites are not necessarily those who perform the best but are actually the ones with the best attitude on the course, who genuinely love what they are doing. But, if I had to pick one female who has really impressed me it would be Michelle Wie. I watched her play while I was competing at the US Women’s Open and I absolutely love the way she hits a ball.

Q: Your favourite male golfers, local or international are...
A: Trevor Fisher Junior who competes on the Sunshine Tour – he is an amazing person on and off the course and has so much talent.

Q: You had the opportunity to meet, play with and learn from Louis Oosthuizen and Charl Schwartzel...tell us about that experience and the impact it had on your game?
A: That was such an unforgettable experience! Ernie Els was also there and I asked each of them so many questions and I learnt so much while I followed them for all their practice rounds in the US Open at Pinehurst. They taught me so much in terms of strategizing mentally and about routine on the course, which has changed the way I approach my game. I don’t think I could have picked a better three-ball to learn from.

Q: Were they what you expected in terms of friendliness, helpful, willing to teach, approachable, etc.?
A: They were very friendly which was so refreshing. In fact when I arrived I didn’t want to stand too close just in case they felt I was imposing on their space but Ernie Els greeted me straight away which caught me completely off guard – when he waved in my direction, I looked behind me thinking he had seen someone he knew but lo and behold, he was waving at me! And, Louis gave us the ‘inside the ropes’ bands, which was really nice of him.

Q: A role model is any person who serves as an example and whose behaviour is often emulated by others. How devastating do you think it is for fans/young aspiring sports stars when their role models fall from grace (Eg. Tiger Woods; Lance Armstrong; Pistorius, etc.)?
A: The ‘relationship’ between an athlete or a sportsperson and fans has been a very personal one, even though the fans never actually get to meet their role models. There is an expectation and a certain standard that athletes and sports stars are expected to adhere to which is why it is extremely disappointing for their fans when these people go against the norm or expected standard of behaviour.

Q: Do you think professional athletes should be made role models and held to a higher standard or should they be regarded as ordinary people?
A: I honestly believe that the achievements of a professional athlete should be admired and never forgotten but that does not necessarily mean that that athlete is a better person because of his or her achievements. Putting them up on a pedestal based on achievements alone can lead to disappointment as we have seen over the years.

Q: Fast-forward your life and career a decade from now after you’ve clinched tournament victories and have been a regular competitor on the LET, how would you, Nicole Garcia, like to be viewed by young, aspiring female golfers?

A: I’d love to be seen as someone who has never given up, someone who gave it her all and put her heart into each and every tournament. I would like to inspire young golfers the way Justin Rose inspires me to keep going and to never give up.


No comments:

Post a Comment