Sunday, October 12, 2014

Chatting to Golfing Guru and Tournament Promoter Lesley Copeman


Cell C SA Women's Open
Somerset West
Lesley Copeman

Having the opportunity to chat with golfing guru, Lesley Copeman, it feels like you are surfing Wikipedia researching Women’s Golf, but her descriptions are far more colourful and entertaining than looking at a computer screen.

Copeman is hard at work making this year’s Cell C SA Women’s Open tournament a huge success. With the title of Tournament Promoter, she is at the helm helping organise South Africa’s oldest women’s professional golf tournament that tees off at the recently refurbished San Lameer Country Club.


“I wouldn’t like to tip one favourite in particular; we have such a strong field at this year’s tournament. But it is going to be exciting watching the top ladies which is perhaps a pool of 15 to 20 players. The in-form ladies like Lee-Anne (Pace); Paula (Reto) or Connie Chen who is really performing at the moment, they are all South Africa stars and could be the ones to watch. Along with American Cheyenne Woods, British players Charley Hull and Trish Johnson who is of course the oldest lady competing but she is playing great golf.”

Smiling, she continues, “It is impossible to choose because one round, or one mistake and it can all go to pot and a complete outside who is playing consistently can take the lead. It could really go to anybody”


Talking about how she got into playing golf, she states, “I used to participate in field hockey and play a bit of tennis but honestly, I was a golfing orphan. Both my parents and my brother played so it was either being home alone or go and join them. The first course I played was in Swartkop up in Pretoria.”

“Comparing the modern day game to when I played, the courses have gotten longer but the equipment has gotten better. There are more girls trying to get onto the circuit but when I was starting out, you still had to qualify! There are of course differences but it is still the same obstacles.”


Continuing she says, “Back in the day, our equipment wasn’t advanced as it is nowadays, so playing was a bit more difficult. Training for us was a little bit of gym and quite a lot of mental training. My game changed when I read a book called ‘The Power of Positive Thinking’ by John C Maxwell; I was able to move to a different level.”

“All of the techniques used today have gotten a lot better. Nowadays, it is gym, the way you eat, the way you think. We were at the beginning of that era. I was still playing when Sweden’s Annika Sörenstam first hit the scene and she started the changes towards the modern day game.”

Asked which her favourite courses are, she claims, “Shew, it’s like music, it all depends on my mood. I would have to say East London would feature, as well as the Wild Coast, Suncity and of course San Lameer. They suit my game and have beautiful scenery around them.”


San Lameer is said to be a tight course where you have to place your shot very carefully and if the wind comes up it is going to be a huge challenge. “I was very good on Iron play and was accurate. Anything from 150yards in, I was very good with it. That was my strength.”

With a handicap of 5, she still enjoys a social round, “I still play a little but I would say my hobbies are more leisure orientated. Pottering in the garden or cooking. I occasionally get to play a round with my brother.”

The Somerset West resident is gearing up to watch 124 top international and national players take to the greens in the game that is close to her heart.

For more info visit www.sawomensopen.co.za




No comments:

Post a Comment