Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Chatting to Pro Golfer Marianne Skarpnord ahead of Cell C SA Women's Open


2014 hasn’t been a particularly good year for Norway’s Marianne Skarpnord on the LET but she’s known for her positive attitude, steely determination and desire to succeed...qualities that will hold her in good stead when she touches down in KwaZulu-Natal on Monday, 13 October to defend her SA Women’s Open crown.

“It’s a strange feeling getting ready to travel to South Africa to defend my title knowing that I haven’t played very well this year. I don’t feel like I’m under any extra pressure as the reigning champion. Obviously I want to put in a good performance but I don’t have any massive expectations.”

Added to her challenges in KZN will be the fact that Skarpnord is heading to unfamiliar territory because she has never played at the San Lameer Country Club.

“I think the course will be my big test at the Cell C SA Women’s Open because I need to quickly learn the course and get used the greens.”


She vividly remembers the 2013 South Africa Women’s Open for various reasons.

“It was certainly one of the strangest tournaments I’ve competed in. The weather was just so brutal but we were always hopeful that we would be able to play more than just one round. When we received the message that no further play was possible and that the winner would be declared based on the first round scores, I was shocked. I was happy that I won but it didn’t feel real, it took me a few hours to realise what had happened.”

The 2013 SA Women’s Open will long be remembered as one of the wettest and shortest international golf tournaments in South Africa. Skarpnord’s first round score of three under par was good enough to be declared the winner, with a seven-way tie for second consisting of South Africans Ashleigh Simon and Stacy Bregman, Minea Blomqvist (Finland), Charley Hull (England), Camilla Lennarth (Sweden), Katie Burnett (USA) and Nina Holleder (Germany).


“That wasn’t the way I wanted to win but I’m glad I did because it gives me a bit more confidence, excitement and positivity about playing in South Africa again. And, my caddy Brian Shezi will be with me again which makes it even more exciting.”

The Norwegian is very critical of her game on the LET this year. “I have played all the LET tournaments this year with the last few being in Scotland, Sweden, Spain and France where I played really well in the first two rounds but went on to have bad weekends. In the past two weeks my game has just not been good enough to compete at this level but I’m hoping that will change in South Africa next week.” However, she did have to contend with a back injury in August.

“I had some problems with my back two months ago which lasted for just under a month but I’m pleased to say that I’m injury free now.” Skarpnord’s best finish this year has been a tie for eighth in Italy.


As a junior, Marianne caught the attention of the golfing fraternity with her natural-born talent and she quickly became regarded as one of the country’s best golfers. As a teenager, she won the British Girls Championship and the Junior Solheim Cup with Europe, a tournament she is fondly remembered for having sunk a six-footer to secure the win for the European team. Two years later in 2005 she got her tour card and marked her entry to the professional circuit with a second place finish at the Skandia PGA Open followed by a 22nd place finish at the LET-sanctioned OTP Ladies Central European Open. Her first two years on Tour weren’t without challenges for the Norwegian but she quickly turned around her fortunes in 2007 when she decided to play a full season at the Telia Tour. That year she won three tournaments, picked up one second-place and a third-place finish and won the Order of Merit to secure her 2008 LET card. In 2009, Skarpnord bagged her first win on the LET when she defeated England’s Melissa Reid by a single stroke in the Deutsche Bank Ladies Swiss Open. She went on to win the Carta Si Ladies Italian Open after beating Laura Davies in a playoff and qualified for the 2010 LPGA Tour after finishing as runner-up in the LPGA Final Qualifying Tournament in Daytona.  

Looking ahead to the annual co-sanctioned Cell C SA Women’s Open with a prize-purse of 320 000, Skarpnord expects South Africa’s Lee-Anne Pace to deliver an impressive performance. “Lee-Anne is one of my favourite players and I think she will be right up there challenging for the title this year.” Among an impressive list of confirmed entrants are Ashleigh Simon, Stacy Bregman, Cheyenne Woods, Maha Haddioui, Sharmilla Nicolett and Paula Reto.

The San Lameer Country Club plays host to this year’s edition of South Africa’s oldest women’s tournament with tee-off times at 06:45am and 11:15am on the first and 10th tees respectively on Thursday, 16 October. The field comprises a maximum of 126 players, 10 of which will be amateurs.


Entry is free and there will also be complimentary parking at San Lameer for spectators.


No comments:

Post a Comment