Friday, April 12, 2013

Victoria's secret is out


Offshore Sailing Academy / Royal Natal Yacht Club Colorpress Vasco da Gama
Victoria Marshall
 
Keeping the Offshore Sailing Academy lads firmly in check, Victoria Marshall makes certain the coaches, Greg Collins; Werner de Kock and Luke Wagner are kept in the correct lines
This English Rose will easily blow you away, not only can she speak four languages, but she plays the piano, flute and enjoys singing. But her talents don’t end there, Westville resident Victoria Marshall is a passionately competitive sailor in Durban.

She was introduced to the superb sport of sailing at a young age, “When I was nine my older sister and I had our very own oppies. We were taught by Trevor Gibb, the stalwart in so many young people’s sailing careers here in Durban.”

Marshall was born in Bristol, England but moved to Durban when she was five and has called Durban home since then. “I went to university in Durban for three years at UKZN where I studied languages, translation and drama. I speak French, Italian and can navigate my way through Spanish and of course I speak English.”

“Last year I worked at the Alliance Française for a couple of months before taking up a job offer to work on a 60ft catamaran in the Mediterranean for 6 months which was an amazing experience! In October I went to university in Italy to do a short language and culture course after which I did a bit of travelling around Europe before returning home to South Africa.”


Victoria Marshall is harnessing a career in her passion, sailing.

Since returning back to Durban, she gravitated towards a career in her main passion, “I have now been working for Offshore Sailing Academy for a few months and I’m really enjoying it. It is heartening to see how sailing gives our students a new lease on life as many come here knowing very little about it and discover a whole new exciting world that they never knew about.”

Beaming, she continues, “I enjoy the fact that each time you get out on the water, sailing is an adventure. I enjoy the sense of freedom it brings and challenges of being in complete control of a boat.”

Marshall is currently preparing to sail in her first ever Colorpress Vasco da Gama that is being hosted by the Royal Natal Yacht Club, “Preparations are going very well! Our entry is in, we have a friend coming over from the UK and one from Jo’burg to join us and we’re all starting to get quite excited.”

Racing in the bay on Majimoto

The Vasco is one of the toughest ocean races in the country and Marshall together with her father, Jon and sister, Charlotte and the visiting crew will be one of 14 yachts competing in this international blue water event that starts in Maputo on Thursday 2 May and finishes in Durban.

“I have many things on my bucket list, I will be ticking off the Vasco soon, my next project is the Lipton Cup Challenge in July, this is the most prestigious regatta in South Africa. I have been asked to sail with the Sail Africa team so I’m over the moon!  Next year I’d also like to take part in the Cape to Rio Race.”

Having sailed to exotic destinations such as Mozambique, Greece, Spain, Malta, Sicily, Turkey this up and coming young lady doesn’t have a favourite boat and is more than capable on any sailing vessel.

Talking about the sport being male dominated, “At times it can be frustrating as girls tend to get overlooked in this sport but if anything it pushes me to improve as I want to be taken seriously as a female sailor.”

Durban’s Victoria Marshall takes some time out of her busy nautical career, enjoying a quiet moment on the moorings at the Durban Marina.

Sturdy words as her list of achievements continues to grow and impress, having won the Inhaca to Richards Bay Race with her family in 2011; winning a few hobie regattas in Durban; placing second in an Intervasity match racing event and being appointed the Commodore of the UKZN Yacht Club for two years.

Concluding she reveals, “I really admire the sailors that I’ve grown up with and have achieved great results. It encourages me as there is nothing stopping me from achieving the same.”

If you would like to learn how to sail go to www.yachtman.co.za or contact Offshore Sailing Academy on 031 307 7944.

No comments:

Post a Comment