Thursday, April 25, 2013

Chatting to sailor William Crockett


Royal Natal Yacht Club
William Crockett


“I believe we have a strong team with a good mix of youth and experience!” states Cape Townian resident, William Crockett (21) ahead of the upcoming Colorpress Vasco da Gama hosted by the Royal Natal Yacht Club that starts on Thursday 2 May in Maputo.

Crockett who grew up in the Highway area gleaned his knowledge sailing the warm Indian Ocean. “I can’t remember how old I was, but I know that I was very young, and I actually didn’t enjoy it the first time out on the water.” he states.

“I would sit endlessly at Midmar Dam and watch my dad sail. Eventually I asked him to take me again, and I guess after that I was hooked.”



Contemplating, Crockett says, “Looking back, life would have been very different had I stayed on the shore. My entire school career was spent working out how to get away from school to go sailing!”

Crockett will be sailing on the Choose Life Pacer skippered by Offshore Sailing Academy’s Luke Wagner. “We have tons of experience onboard. We have a couple of guys who have been involved in a few Lipton Challenge Cup campaigns and some talentedly inspiring guys.”



Renowned Cape Town sailor Greg Davies is part of the crew, “I have sailed with Davies before in a Vasco and it was a great experience. Ian Wolmarans is also making the trek up from the Cape; he is one of the top bowman around. Gregg De Bayer is a man with extensive knowledge of the coastline, I am sure we will all learn something from him.”

The keen lad will be in charge of navigation during the race, “I love that side of things, give me a challenge and I am up for it! Give me a destination, and I will plot the journey. I will have loads of practice in the 300 nautical miles from Maputo!” he says cheerfully.



This being his sixth Vasco, with his first being when he was 12 years old, he has loads of experience sailing along the difficult stretch of coastline. “My first Vasco I sailed it with Dave Cox, that was awesome. Then I missed a year before coming back to sail with John Martin. I did two more after that on Gumption with Nicholas Mace and a bunch of Shosholoza crew members. That was eye-opening!”

He continues, “I was forced to miss a Vasco when I was in Matric. My mother believed my schoolwork was more important than sailing. And then I completed the 2011 Vasco with our then Lipton Challenge Cup team which was good fun!”



Reminiscing, Crockett says, “Gumption, now there’s a boat! She was my ‘High School Sweetheart’. This boat kick-started my career, she is absolutely amazing to sail downwind in big breeze. I have had the privilege of sailing on some fantastic crafts; Gumption comes a close second to my all-time favourite Highland Fling. She is an R/P82 based in the Med, 82feet of all carbon racing, super-fast in any conditions.”

Stating who he most admires in the sport, Crockett says without having to consider the question, “I have two roles models in life. I am honoured and proud to say that my Dad, Richard Crockett is one of them. Being a Springbok sailor, his passion and enthusiasm for sailing easily enveloped you. He got me involved in this sport which is now my life!”

“The second is John Martin who I sailed a Vasco with. I have the utmost respect for him, after all had it not been for him I would not be making my impact on the racing scene in this country.”



Asked what he is hoping for in the upcoming Vasco, “Conditions, there is only one for most sailors! Flying down a “mine shaft” at 2am with a big spinnaker up in the pitch black, that’s always loads of fun, and a sure way to get the adrenaline up and blow the cobwebs out! The competitiveness, I love the thrill of the competition, and the adrenaline rush on the start line. But this can be said for all sailing! I also enjoy dinghy sailing, where it is just you and your boat, and you are the one who controls your outcome”

Durban awaits the outcome eagerly for the 45th Colorpress Vasco da Gama as Crockett along with a fleet of 14 yachts taking up the tough challenge of the ocean race that ends in Durban.

ENDS

All Lipton Challenge Cup pictures from last year taken by Trevor Wilkins.

No comments:

Post a Comment