Friday, April 26, 2013

Chatting to sailor Chris Coxen


Royal Natal Yacht Club
Chris Coxen



Pinetown resident, Chris Coxen will be taking to the high seas when he competes in the upcoming 45th Colorpress Vasco da Gama International Ocean Race hosted by the Royal Natal Yacht Club.

This will be the second time that Coxen is tackling the toughest International blue water event in Southern Africa that will have a fleet of 18 yachts racing from Maputo to Durban next week.

“I think we are just about ready, just running around getting last minute things like essential provisions, squeezing training in where we can, and doing some finishing touches to the boat. But the important items have been attended to.”



Coxen, who is a crew member on the L34 yacht Zap, skippered by Graham Rose, said “I consider myself more of a casual sailor, I sail when and where I can. I have been involved in the support side of sailing helping the club with rescue duties at regattas and races.”

Coxen who has been sailing since September 2010 has learnt the ropes on two sorts of keelboats, “I can’t say which is my favourite as both have their own benefits but I have crewed on a racer / cruiser and also a cruising yacht.”

“Sailing is unpredictable, each time is different and you almost always have a story afterwards.” The young sailor enthuses.


Zap, sporting a brand new set of sails and a spinnaker is one of two L34’s that will be competing in the quality fleet. “We are hoping with the new sails we will have a remarkably faster race. Every single time we have been out on the water this year, we have improved our time and performance significantly.”

Chatting about his dreams, he says, “I have been lucky enough to travel a bit all ready, but I relish an island escape, I would have to say this features right up there on my bucket list.  If I had to pick a destination it would probably be around the Philippines, or anywhere with lots of islands. The idea of a tropical island escape, turquoise blue ocean, palm trees, sailing, it all just sounds magnificent.” 



“I spend majority of my time on a computer when I am not sailing, I work in IT so I am really looking forward to the break and getting a taste of the tropics. This time, we will have some time in Mozambique before the race.”

When not on the water or at his computer, the fit figure claims, “I am an avid Sharks supporter but can never watch them play otherwise they lose. I have concluded that I am a bad luck omen for my favourite team.”

“I also play cricket from time to time, I love the game. I am watching the Pepsi IPL unfold in India with great interest as the usual suspects seem to be outclassed by the new kids on the block!”



Hoping to take a page out of the underdog cricket stars book, Coxen and his team on Zap are holding thumbs for a fantastic run back to Durban, “Ideal conditions, 10knots picking up to around 18 knots of wind, with a fair swell of 2 meters, for some downwind surfing and slightly overcast for the occasional bit of shade now and then. That would be bliss!”

ENDS

No comments:

Post a Comment