Friday, April 26, 2013

Chatting to sailor Jof Heathcote


Royal Natal Yacht Club
Jof Heathcote


The towering frame of Durban’s top sailor Jof Heathcote saunters along the mooring at the Durban Marina, completely at home nestled in amongst the majestic yachts.

Heathcote is preparing for the big international race on the South African sailing calendar, the Colorpress Vasco da Gama hosted by the Royal Natal Yacht Club racing from Maputo to Durban that starts next week. This is the 45th running of the Vasco, one of the toughest ocean races in Southern Africa.



“Generally if you need navigation lights, you don’t need me. I am not too big on the long distance stuff, so that almost rules out sailing to any destination as such. I am just doing this Vasco as I haven’t done one in a while and felt like it was time to give it another go.”  he shares.

Continuing, he comments smiling “Round-the-cans racing is more my style. I like a hot shower and my bed too much.”

Heathcote was a member of the Royal Natal Yacht Club’s Lipton Challenge Cup team that pried the trophy away from the recent Western Cape domination. “Winning the Lipton Cup last year with a bunch of good mates and bringing the event back to Durban after a long absence was pretty cool and must be right up there!”



“Some of the other Lipton campaigns I have done previously were very rewarding in terms of the results we got, always with some level of handicap to the programmes.”

The quietly determined sailor admits, “Let’s just say I began sailing a while ago. I sailed my first Optimist regatta when it costs about R2 for the entry fee, and that covered 4 consecutive Saturdays, and also included lunch and a drink at the club before sailing too. I was a late developer though as I only really got remotely competitive in my mid-teens”



And competitive he has been, since his ‘late development’ he was crowned as the 5th Sprog National Champion in December last year, ten years after he first won it. “I have been lucky enough to do lots of sailing on the SA coast and made the trip up to Mozambique quite a few times. I did one South Atlantic Race and the horrible return trip. While in Europe I tried not to sail big boats much but gained some invaluable experience sailing and competing in the UK, Spain, Portugal, France, Holland, Denmark and Norway.”

“Heaven for me would be sailing a 49er upwind in 20knots gliding across flat water. But I am looking forward to the run down the coast on Bellatrix, a Beneteau First 40; we have a fun experienced team on board. And she makes a change to the racing boats I am used to, she is very comfortable to be on and with the fine tuning that we have been busy doing should be a dream to sail.”



Counting, he claims, “I think I have done three or four Vasco’s when it used to race down to East London, and I have done two since it returned back to its original start in Maputo.”

The Vasco is renowned to be a demanding navigator’s race, “I am technically minded, so definitely appreciate the technical side of the sport, but I also really enjoy how it mixes with the art side too. Some people just feel and know what to do. Some of us have to think about it a lot. Then you throw in the athletic or fitness bit, which most sailors neglect and you have this amazing mix where a multitude of different approaches and techniques can result in success.”



Away from sailing, Heathcote used to cycle and race a lot but since being knocked down soon after the Lipton Challenge Cup last year, suffering a severe shoulder injury he rides a lot less, “The roads in Durban aren’t conducive to riding and the abundance of 4x4 drivers who run you over also put me off a bit. I suppose windsurfing is a hobby too really, as I am pretty bad at it but I aim to start trying forward loops, which is pretty high on my bucket list.” he states with a twinkle in his eye.

The young sailor had a successful undergrad year where he won a bunch of local events and was recognised for his achievements, being awarded the UKZN Sportsman of the Year, “I really enjoyed that as it felt like proof that sailing can get recognition against the mainstream sports too.”



Heathcote and his team on Bellatrix are hoping to add the title of 45th Colorpress Vasco da Gama to their list of achievements; they will have to work hard as this year a quality fleet of 18 yachts will be lining up at the start in Maputo with the same intentions as Bellatrix.

ENDS

No comments:

Post a Comment