Thursday, April 25, 2013

Chatting to sailor Lloyd Clark


Royal Natal Yacht Club
Lloyd Clark


“This will be my first of…” with a naughty smile, Durban’s Lloyd Clark ponders, “Well we’ll see when I get back as to how many I will do. Maybe it’s a limited edition?”

Talented sailor, Clark is referring to competing in the toughest ocean race in Southern Africa, the upcoming Colorpress Vasco da Gama hosted by the Royal Natal Yacht Club. A quality fleet of 18 yachts will line up at the start of the international race in Maputo and Clark will be on one of those yachts, ready to tackle the Indian Ocean.

“It’s a little intense being my first Vasco, I don’t even know what I don’t know yet!” he states slightly bemused. “With the training and practice it has been a pretty steep learning curve but it’s fantastic to get out of a comfort zone and push your limits. It has been quite a lot of work getting the boat ready too, new riggings, new sails and whatever we can do to eek a little more speed out of her. It is definitely a scramble” Clark shares.



“We have been doing that successfully in the summer sailing season, each time we get out onto the water we shave some more time off our performance and get the yacht going faster. The revamp that we have done will certainly help as well.”

Clark who began sailing a mere two and a half years ago has become a permanent team member on the L34 yacht Zap. “My best boat to sail on, Zap of course. It’s not about the yacht, it’s about the company and we have an awesome captain, in Graham Rose, and the crew. We have been sailing together for over two years now. I love the sense of humour on that boat, great guys!”

Laughing he states, “My achievement in sailing, well I haven’t fallen off the boat yet!”



Clark who is still in his twenties is looking forward to his future in sailing, “Exotic destinations, by boat? Nowhere yet besides Coopers Lighthouse and the Tugela river mouth,” he says with a chuckle, “but the horizon calls strongly and Maputo is up soon. I am sure it will be first of many new places to see and experience. That’s the freedom sailing offers you.”

Zealously, he continues, “Sailing gives you a sense of freedom, that you really could go anywhere should you want to. Life is much more peaceful out there, it allows you to step out of your existence as you know it and almost view it from the outside. On the opposite side it is extreme, intense and downright scary at times. It’s a rush and a tranquiliser all rolled into one, you never quite know what Mother Nature is going to dish up. It’s humbling to realise how small and insignificant you actually are in comparison to the big blue and how effortlessly and remorselessly it could just swallow you. It’s a strangely freeing experience being brought to that realisation.”



The surprising package, Clark divulges, “I have participated in three world champs in the lesser known genre of Mindsports, which is a strategic historical war game. I attained my Protea Colours and represented South Africa twice, in New Orleans and on home soil in Port Elizabeth.”

He dons a black belt or Shodan in Kyokushin, a full contact style of karate which he was awarded last year. “I am getting into gyming now, enjoying getting fitter and stronger. I started shooting as well as I aim to take up competitive tactical shooting.”

“Since I was five, I have always wanted to drive through Africa especially through places like Dar Es Salaam and Marrakech and I am now one step closer. I purchased a 4x4 last year and have fallen in love with off-roading. It has allowed me to be immersed in the beauty of South Africa off the beaten track! Every chance I get, I disappear to somewhere I have never been to.”



“The highlight was lying on a deserted beach at Bhanga Nek, Kosi Bay with seven friends at the beginning of this year watching the full moon over the ocean when a leatherback turtle came out of the water and shuffled straight up the beach between us to lay its eggs. Truly a once in a lifetime experience, it really was a majestic moment.” Clark says distractedly.

The seafarer is now on the verge of another majestic moment when he takes to the high seas for the Colorpress Vasco da Gama, “Sitting on the rail watching a sunset over smooth seas with a fair breeze bringing new adventure ever closer.”

Clark is certainly going to go places with his enthusiasm and call for adventure as he slowly starts ticking off items from his extensive and exciting bucket list.


1 comment:

  1. Isn't my brother a handsome man? Also crazy about adrenaline

    ReplyDelete