Friday, April 26, 2013

Chatting to sailor Jeff Rose


Royal Natal Yacht Club
Jeff Rose


Crouching at the front of the yacht, the lanky frame of Jeff Rose stashes away more cool drinks into the hold before the crew’s departure for the upcoming 45th Colorpress Vasco da Gama hosted by the Royal Natal Yacht Club.

This will be the second time that the Durban North sailor will be competing in the toughest blue water race in Southern Africa, “Your first Vasco is always memorable but I am excited about this race as it will be my first sailing with my regular team. Our skipper, Graham Rose has put together a really good balance of eight guys.”



“Our team have been sailing together regularly for the last three seasons preparing for this moment and are now looking to make an impression in ocean sailing. We are competing on a Lavranos 34 foot keeler named Zap, a very capable boat originally designed for the testing conditions around Cape Town.”

Zap has been fitted with a new set of sails and a gorgeous new spinnaker, “We have done some training with the new sails and are delighted at the performance of the yacht. We are now just hoping we can use them to their optimum on the run back from Maputo.” Rose said with a smile in his eyes.



The wirey lad was born up in Mtunzini less than a quarter of a century ago, “We moved to Durban when I was two. I was introduced to sailing at Midmar Dam during school holidays when I was younger but rekindled my adventure with sailing about four years ago.”

“I enjoy sailing Flying Fifteens but have to admit that keelboats are my preferred medium. I am keen to do some longer distance ocean racing in the near future. One of my dream races to compete in would have to be the Rolex Sydney to Hobart Race, although the next Cape to Rio is a strong possibility.”



“Sailing for me is definitely a way of life, it has had a serious impact and once you have experienced the adventure, life will never be quite the same again.” comments a thoughtful Rose.

“We are very spoilt in Durban with world class sailing taking place all the time, right on our doorstep.” enthuses the fledgling seafarer.

Talking about life away from sailing, Rose shares, “I have managed to complete my BCom in Marketing Management through UNISA but balanced my studies with a lot of travelling.” He states.



Continuing he says, “I have visited fascinating places including China, Israel, Germany and the more conventional English destinations of the UK, USA and Australia. All of them were truly amazing, and all so different to each other.”

“There are still so many places I would like to visit but the next few,” pausing as he deliberates, “will be reached by yacht!”

For now, his passport will be stamped by our neighbours as he heads up to the start in Maputo to take to the high seas for the upcoming 45th Colorpress Vasco da Gama.



Concluding, Rose declares, “It’s always a motivating feeling putting up the spinnaker and surfing some big swells. I sincerely hope the conditions for the Vasco will allow for us to do this.”

ENDS

No comments:

Post a Comment