Thursday, March 28, 2013

Somewhere.... It snowed!


It feels odd to be stating this as a true Durbanite, but it feels warmer today with the temperature sitting comfortably on 4degrees.

Overnight the temperature plummeted to -1. This morning at breakfast there was evidence of overnight snow with cars driving past with a dusting of fresh white snow but the pavements in my surrounds only had evidence of rain.


At each sighting of Saint Etienne, the cathedral  truly is magnificent! Cruising around Bourges, it feels good not to be harassed by traders asking where you are from but walk around in solitary silence, giving you time to admire.


The familiar streets holds the same charm as before. Rugged in their cobbledness embraced by beautiful antique buildings. The weather is warmer than my previous visit, all though it seems that there has been a lot of rain in recent weeks with surrounding fields all very water logged, paths are all slodgy so you side step into the street to avoid numerous puddles, at these moments you are never sure which side of the road you are on, where the traffic is coming from so you are stepping out into the road while nervously glancing in all directions looking for a car.


Wednesday night I had the honour of watching Bourges Basketball's final game in the Euroleague, they played bottom of the log Brno. It felt like it was a training game with Bourges trying a few new things, mostly pulling them off. All the players had winning smiles on their faces as the visiting team strained to keep in the picture. The coach, Valerie Garnier, ran several changes with almost everyone getting a good run. The newcomer to the team, Johannah Leedham from England, in my opinion was the player of the match. She was silently determined and got a number of rebounds and intercepts. One play when she was in support with Dumerc haring down the court, Dumerc drew the defender to her and tossed the ball flawlessly behind her back into the waiting hands of Leedham who effortlessly added 2 more points for Bourges. Dumerc however was named MVP, her play was impressive. Her legendary charge into the circle, holding up and floating the ball in was wonderful to see. The crowd went wild every time she got the ball, and as she had done in the Olympics, she secured the ball with only seconds remaining and crushed Brno even more as she played her trademark shot. At this point, the entire stadium was on their feet singing and cheering!


I sat inside the cathedral for ages reading Saul Williams poem, Said the Shotgun to the Head. I watched as tour parties moved through the cathedral stopping at the same spots pointing at a column or stained glass window. The tour guide rattling off something of interest and flashes disturbing the peace as the tourists all captured their memories.


I have spent the previous three days trying to sort out the car that I hired. It seems their machine is not communicating with American Express. I have spoken to Amex several times and they say that there is no evidence of Europcar trying to reserve money off my card so today in despair, I cancelled the reservation and walked to the train station researching various options of where to go as I fear I have seen almost all there is to see in Bourges. All the places I would like to get to, the timing isn't right with arrival times only giving me a brief window of opportunity to sight see.


 I currently sit in an Irish pub, enjoying a Guinness with my lunch. Pondering what to do this afternoon. I sit under a glass conservatory watching the ominous weather move across the sky disguising the blue suggesting I find a few indoor activities to keep me out of mischief for the remainder of the day.

My amusement for now is a rowdy group of men who are giving the waitresses a hard time and she is handling them expertly.


For now, bon appetite and an Irish Guinness Cheers.

Pooh says hic.

No comments:

Post a Comment