Thursday, March 28, 2013

You either have to be incredibly brave or just plain stupid!



I have landed in Lapland, towards the North of Finland. On our doorstep is a huge frozen ocean with one of the main sports being yachting in these parts, go figure because the single boat in the harbour is snowed in and is a foot under snow!

The bare starkness of my surrounds is quiet, life in Kemi is slow with only a handful of people being spotted outside. Tour buses of people get spat out and they loudly but surprisingly quickly make their way through the Snow Village. But once they have moved on, peace is restored.



The team that received me were fabulous at the reception! The teller didn't speak English so the chef came out and started all the details, getting me to fill in forms and showing me where my locker was. When I asked the question of the Snow Restaurant, she flurried through the dinner reservations and didn't find my details, she quickly found the manager who made a call and then she asked what food I had ordered, I said none (here in lies the problem) but I just made the reservation a week ago. This is where the language barrier came into affect, I was supposed to order my food two days ago-because I hadn't the reservation fell away.



So tonight I am venturing to a Vietnamese spot and then have to report at 9pm for the briefing about how to survive sleeping in sub-zero temperatures. The temp in the rooms are -2 at the mo! This is going to be interesting! Sleeping in a freezer! But I have cruised around the hotel. The rooms are small but fun. The beds all have reindeer skins on them all ready, so the tourists can get a feel for the out of this world experience.



I arrived in Kemi this morning after an 11hour VR Train ride. Sleep was intermittent all depending on the noise of the fellow passengers. The train was full, no empty seat to spare! It was full of young mates escaping to the north with their skis. When I got to the railway station in Kemi, there was no taxis so I thought this was fabulous as the Snow Hotel only opened its doors after 10am, so I camped out at the railway station till 11am. I found a locker and for 2 Euro for 24hours, my bags are stashed at the railway station! I only have my pj's, an extra jersey and toothbrush etc as well as underwear for tomorrow! Packed light.


Now, arguably the highlight of the trip, the Snow Village. This year, the theme is Fantasy. It is the 18th year that the Snow Village has been built! The builders have a theme each year and wandering around you see snippets from Angry Birds, Alice in Wonderland, you have dragons flying over you. I entered through the Chapel and spent a bit of time checking it out. Everything was ice, the pulpit, the pews, everything!


An igloo sprouted off the Chapel wing and you weaved through tunnels stopping in at a pub like spot with counters and stools topped with reindeer hides, an indoor playground, a fully stocked cafe come bar with the final igloo being a sit down restaurant.



Once back in the outside world, I went up the lookout tower. You had 360 degrees panoramic views off the harbour, the woods and the buildings surrounding the village.



On Sunday's the Gemstone Gallery is free, so I cruised around here, surprised how much South Africa featured with a number of large replica diamonds on display.


I then strolled around the white scapes enjoying all the trees, buildings and even sign posts that had a heavy frosting of snow, discovering a huge Lutheran Church. I have now enjoyed a huge Finnish Kebab, making the kebab tasting one in every country barring the UK.


I am exploring the options of what to do this afternoon. Alas, besides the dead part of town and some other ice sculptures, Kemi on a Sunday seems to be a sleepy village.


So off to play in the snow goes us. Then a stroll through the cemetery, not sure I will see anything as the snow truly is deep here.



From a gorgeous crystal white Lapland, here's to sleeping on a block of ice, you really have to be mad... Or stupid!



No comments:

Post a Comment