Thursday, March 28, 2013

Is this an express train?


Snug as in a 'warm' Helsinki clocking in at -4degrees. Snow is beautiful! The white landscapes are utterly breathtaking!

It has been about a week since I clocked in with you all. My time in London flew by. I got to spend tons of time with Derek and Ange. I spent most of a day with Nat and Ange (who bunked work). I also even spent the better part of a day with Trayci Tompkins as we cruised around Covent Gardens, the last time I was in Covent Gardens was in 97- I have to admit, it hasn't changed much.


London was fun, a chilled interval between Turkey, France and the main attraction - Finland! When I arrived on the Eurostar, the snow was tumbling down. Rickmansworth was under a few inches of snow and remained this way for the next day and a bit with light sleet keeping the temperature chilly. The last two days warmed up hugely, almost a heat wave at 9degrees with the sun making an appearance.

Time with Derek and Ange was fantastic. I love visiting them. Derek and I get to play with our cameras and he teaches me so much! Ange is great company. Their house is a home, warm and comfortable.


Ange and I went to visit Nat on Thursday. Nat had a bad day on Wednesday, so took a TOIL day, Ange did in a way as well as she is not enjoying work! We had a long leisurely lunch at Nat's gorgeous new flat in Fulham Broadway on the green line. Her directions were spot on, with huge emphasis on the second iron gate, her address is The Gatehouse 20 Dawes Road and next door is Malcolm Court, 20 Dawes Road, so loads of confusion with deliveries etc. Amusing to Nat, not so for her neighbour.


After lunch we strolled through the Burton Cemetery, ancient and rather unattended which just makes it that much more charming. Nat claimed that this spot featured in Sherlock Holmes, the movie with Johnny Depp. Also is home to some famous people.


We then proceeded to hunt for bus #74 but seemed to over shoot the route, forced to catch another bus and ended up going past a Lambogiene car shop which Nat loved (we think she did this deliberately to see the expensive machines) and eventually caught up with the correct bus which took us to Baker Street. We meet Derek here for a drink at the pub right outside the tube station. Nat entertained us no end, her stories resulting in loud laughter - in true Nat style, her tales were just too much. Kids getting locked up in the slammer for pinching a scooter, or her asking a Broadway star if he had good seats in the show she had just seen. Or a young un getting an award at the end of year ceremony and asking if the prize she gets, if she can eat it!

After that we went for dinner at Nandos. The whole evening was truly memorable!


I clocked in with John Adler, he sounded well. I tried to get in touch with Helen Taylor, Catherine Dodd and Leanne but alas, time just ran out!

I left London Gatwick yesterday early evening. The security check was a bit OTT, checking each persons liquid that they had packed in their hand luggage. I declared my deodorant and perfume but forgot about the arnica and bactopan creams and they didn't pick it up.

I arrived close on midnight after a very pleasant flight on Norwegian Airlines. I caught the airport taxi to Hellsten Senate Apartments. It must have been just after midnight when I got there. I dumped my bags and just had to go walk about. The deep snow was just too inviting. I wandered around till close on 1:30 this morning and then retired to my warm comfy bed. I cruised around familiar buildings that had there winter look, a totally different feel.



The alarm was set for 08:00 this morning and in typical holiday fashion, I was up at 07:39.  I was meeting Eva at nine at the train station so left my bags neatly packed and ready for check out and troddled off to see my Finnish friend.

I caught the #4 tram and sat confidentally gazing out the window for the familiar sight of the train station, the one that appears on my screensaver but when we started heading out of town, I grew nervous that I had missed my stop. Asking the driver, he nodded and pointed at an oncoming tram. Pooh and I leaped off the #4 and ran to the station to attempt to catch the #3T for take two.



The #3T spat me out directly outside the train station. I wandered inside being a few minutes late and easily found Eva. We had a light breakfast, I caught up on all her news. She was full of stories. Was good to see her!

She left promptly to catch the #615 to the airport. She said it was winter ski holidays for the south so, as she is single she had no chance to come with on my adventure. All her colleagues who have families are booked off. The holidays work in an interesting fashion, first the south have a week off, the central Finland and then the north.



After Eva departed, I meandered around, trying to remember the different places I had been to and wanted to get familiar shots so I could compare the summer and winter photos!

I then had to head back to Hellsten to check out and store my bags. The elevator was ancient and had a letter explaining that we must be gentle on her. Strongly urging us not to slam the door. This was fun as the coded. key didn't want to let me in to the luggage room. After phoning the reception three times, I eventually hunted down the maid to assist me. She did this somewhat begrudgingly and mumbling about foreigners.



Having successfully securing my bags, I headed out on more or less the same route I had strolled last night, extending my visit to the church where I watched a young couple pose for photos, her in a summer dress and must have been freezing in the sub zero conditions. The photographer expertly telling them where to look and how to smile. I am sure a few of his previous wedding shots must have a similar feel.

On my round-about voyage to breakfast, I passed a building that had a government feel to it, one I have stopped at before. Most of the garden that welcomed guests had a snowmen congregation. A few handfuls all stood keeping a watchful eye on the traffic, including a cute ice version of Winnie the Pooh



After that I stopped at a buffet bar and nibbled on a croissant remembering France. The time was nearing two and I still wanted to go to the Ice meets Art exhibition in the Helsinki Zoo. Eva had sent me details of this. I caught the #16 train that takes you directly to the Zoo and then after discovering a Beared Eagle, a Snow Leopard, a tiger, a pacing Leopard who had grooved the exact footprints in the snow, he marched up and down, turning in the same circle and missioning on with deliberate strides.

in the main zoo area, near the playground and restaurant, the Ice meets Art exhibition was. It was growing dark, so the sculptures were starting to be illuminated by LED lights. Artists from around the world had come to compete. Their carvings were magnificent! Intricate, defined, detailed and just mind blowing what could be done with a block of ice and some imagination.



Eventually, as the night drew closer with the time nearing 6pm, I caught the bus back to Helsinki central. I went for my last stroll around this fantastic city. Trying to jam as many memories that could fit into my travel bank. I then went to grab something from the local shop, and then collecting my bags, I quickly ate my supper in the Hellsten reception area.

My final tram trip on the #4 took me back to the station. Now aware of where to jump off, I got off without any detours. I waited for the train, for some time in the ticket hall and then braved the subzero temps on the #8 platform.


Currently, I sit on what is rumoured to be the express train, in half an hour we have crawled along a few hundred metres and are on our third pause. None of the locals seem worried, so I am just sitting back and relaxing!

At the first official stop, the entire train filled up with everyone carrying bags that obviously contain skis, or else they have very long narrow bags in these parts!


I had planned my Kemi visit around an excursion on the big Ice Breaker, a swim in the north sea and a trip to the snow castle, snow church and of course the snow bar. But I fear that the Ice Breaker is not operating this weekend, so no excursion or swim in the north sea! I am not sure what else there is to do in Kemi, in time I will know!

Pooh alerted me to the fact that Finnish families travel with their animals, we are on the train with a bulldog, a black lab, a spaniel cross setter and a cat.


No comments:

Post a Comment