Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Heaven is.... packaged in a sweet green liquid and my lap was accosted by a hobo



One can't but be amazed each time you set eyes on the enormity that is Istanbul! I battle to think New York, London or Singapore being this populated. Somehow with the wide streets and the populated hills just gives air to a never ending of people, in London in the small streets you don't feel it as much!

A line Thomas mentioned this week about his travels to Cyprus rings true here, huddles of satellite dishes perch loudly on top of roofs. Roof tops have become a rusty off white colour with the new roofing tiles all gazing up into space.





The trip from the airport took longer than I remember, so much was familiar but so much was new, both forgotten by me and glistening in its infancy.

Arriving at Sultan Inn Hotel, it felt like coming home. The two chaps at reception seemed as though they hadn't left since I last saw them. They smiled welcoming me back, remembering me. After organising my next few days with them, I headed up to my room and attempted to catch up on a few hours kip that I had lost carelessly on the plane.





I woke, startled. I had forgotten about the man who sits at the end of my bed. Well, he still remains! He sat cross legged melodiously sharing the evening prayer. This was momentum enough to get up and out into Sultanahmet




I headed out as the day was ending and the chill of the night moved in. The weather is mild, no beanies, scarves or gloves in sight. First stop out in the real world, Doy Doy. Nothing has changed with the charming restaurant, well the look of the menus but that is it. The same family sitting downstairs shouting advice to the soccer players in the box, the son upstairs taking all the orders watching videos on a laptop. I ordered my kiwi tea and kebab and waited anxiously in anticipation, worried that my memory of the delicious combo was in actual fact correct. Both arrived and the two years waiting for my dream meal finally arrived. And it was glorious.




As my food arrived, a solo diner sitting at the next table got up after paying her bill. She turned to me and with a beaming smile stated bon apetite, bowed her head and waltzed off. This impressed me no end. A friendly person.

After my second kiwi tea I headed off to the mesmerising Blue Mosque and Aya Sofia. I now sit nestled, balanced between the two on a brand new wooded bench.





On my arrival, a white hobo dashed toward me with this gorgeous high pitched voice. She looked to be a teenager, in healthy condition, her eyes glimmering with promise. I watched her approach, curious by her confidence and outright boldness. She stood before me for a moment, introducing herself, as soon as this was done. Fate seemed sealed! She hopped onto the bench, then stepped onto my lap and 10seconds later was curled up, fast asleep. She remained on my lap until my hands were frozen as the chilled wind had picked up a tad. We sat there for half an hour or so as I drank in the sights and sounds, the water feature, the lights and she just enjoyed some friendly company.





She caused a huge amount of attraction with kids stopping to pet her, adults curiously smiling, wondering if I was loopy and holidaying with my cat? Loads of comments flew my way about my nice cat, I just smiled and carried on stroking her.

A fabulous moment occurred when Turkish Cheese woke, froze and then stayed very still as a local walked his two adult Rotwilliers and their three fluffy pups a hair width away. He put his finger to his lips and the muscular dogs passed by blissfully unaware of the cat. Soon after she relaxed and closed her eyes, drifting off again.





As I was bracing myself to break Turkish Cheese's heart (her name) I was approached by a chap who asked to sit on the bench next to me, I nodded my head. He was Mohamit from a village a few hours away from Istanbul. He asked if I was German, if the cat was mine and then his third question after stating that I must be a positive person cause I was so friendly to the cat was could he come home with me? I laughed as I was reminded by the house rules stated everywhere, no locals are welcome at Sultan Inn. So, alas... I turned poor Mohamit down! I did however wonder about bending the rules with Turkish Cheese.

Istanbul is intriguing as ever and seems very musical this time. People singing as they stroll down the street, the nice reception man singing to himself as he works something out and even my neighbours are singing. They sound Canadian, about three of them. Two chaps and a lady. They were harmoniously singing Helen's ring tone. Sounded fantastic. Not only the people but while sitting on the bench, the trams sang as they squeezed themselves around the bend on the tracks.





Not forgetting the man perched at the end of the bed... I ponder what time he will wake me secretly hoping he sleeps in on a Sunday. For now, I have a 'free' day tomorrow where I plan to visit the Aya Sofia and surrounds. Tomorrow night I am going to an evening of traditional Turkish dancing. Monday I am heading off to this church and then Tuesday is an epic adventure. An early morning flight to Izmir and then heading to the Greek Ruins. Finally...

For now Pooh Bear and I are warm, safe and oddly alone with so many local options of company!



No comments:

Post a Comment