Thursday, March 28, 2013

Au revoir; Adieu; A Bientot; Salut; Farewell; Goodbye France!


And we are off...

Sitting on the train to London. Paris is now but a memory, as is France.



I am always amazed how time flies and what it means in different scenarios! Arriving on the sixth, five days in France seemed glorious, and now the time has vanished. And in another two hours I will be in a country where I understand most things, including menus.


My last evening was an adventure, I watched Bourges battle against Lyon. Lyon clad in netball style dresses were far from ladylike. The game was intense, physical with Bourges players being spat out and rolled across the court. Valerie Garnier did superbly, every time one of her players started to get a bit agitated, she substituted them. Celine Dumerc got ruffled a few times but mostly had a bemused smile on her face. Her training buddy Stella got irritated when her opponent just kept pushing her until she finally lashed out but got blown by the ref. Garnier immediately changed her. When Bourges did manage to get a movement in, it looked splendid. The only player that looked completely unphased by Lyon's brash play was the youngster, Romanie who was like a jumping jack livewire bouncing around like a pup.


The final score saw the home side victorious but it was a battle.

I strolled back to the hotel and sat in the hotel bar for a bit. I had a 1664 beer on tap and people watched. When I next glanced at my watch, it was pumpkin hour. I disappeared to my quarter, jumped into bed and was quickly asleep.

The next morning I showered and then packed. I had a long trek to the train station-crossing on road and a parking lot, so didn't want to be late. Snow had tumbled down again and the temperature was on a mere 3 degrees.



After a crowded train trip, I landed in Paris. I purchased a 24 hour metro ticket and headed to the familiar district of Gare Du Nord. I made it to Altona by memory and dumped my bags. I then headed out into the city.

First stop, a French kebab at my local. I devoured the huge meal, charged and ready to go. I was now ready to wander.


Snow, snow and more snow! The vast city of Paris was under a dreamy snowy blizzard, with the white particles continually gently falling. I tackled the exploration with illa inspired music (and every Morris Column-advertising boards in Paris advertising the movie) I had Les Miserables lined up on my I-Pod. I jumped out of the metro nearest the Eiffel Tower. The familiar attraction was lost at the top with the low clouds. I crossed the river Seine, the river was swollen and was lapping across the lower walkways. Brave locals strolled along the pavements, skirting the high lying water and making alternative plans where the walkways were flooded and impassable. I walked from the Eiffel Tower towards the Arc de Triomphe, at the top viewing section, the best view of the city I was stopped by a chap who made me a wool bracelet, he claimed it was warm colours and thinking back it is of course the colours of Valentine's. As he was tying it around my wrist, he stated that at the point of tying it, I should be making a wish.


I discovered the Arc, it was exactly where I had last seen it! I strolled around, the snow was relentless so I made my way to Virgin Records where I mainly stopped to dry off a bit. I met a lovely lady who served me in the cafe, bubbly character with piercing eyes.

After warming up and drying off, I left the cafe and wandered around the cd collection, finding a few Les Enfoires but they weren't on sale so I continued on with my sight seeing.


One thing that is totally bold is the fashion in France, it seems that if you were it with spunk, you pull it off. I passed a man wearing a pink hat with childlike animal figures popping up from the hat, leather boots and sparkly knee pads. He looked just darling.

Eventually after hours of strolling around with my beanie soaked through, I headed back to Gare Du Nord and the warmth of the hotel. I stopped at the shop next door to the hotel and got a beer, a lemon cooldrink, and a chocolate. Enough to top up after the huge French kebab.


In my room, I defrosted under the covers, made sure everything was charged and watched some French telly. This morning I checked out of the hotel early, left my bags at the reception and went sightseeing, on the hop on hop off bus. When I left the hotel, it was still snowing mixed with bog standard rain.

For five hours, I hopped off and on, enjoying the great city sights. Most of which I have seen and a few that I hadn't. The weather improved, so much so that I even wore my sunnies. A complete contrast to the landscape that I pass now.


Sitting on the Eurostar, I guess I am in no mans land. I checked out of France and a few paces later I was at a British passport control.

Train rides are all about the changing landscapes, Bourges was green, wet and flat. Around Paris, it is crowded filled with street art and buildings on top of each other, now on the Eurostar, the hilly surrounds are covered in snow with small villages rising out of the stark whiteness with a church spire dominating the skyline, mixed with wirey naked trees.


I think I have another hour left of the train trip. I have yet to go under the English Channel, but for now, I will enjoy the last of France listening to Mozart L'Opera Rock.

Pooh is almost in his homeland! We shall be surrounded by Brits. I am having High Tea with Trayci Tompkins which I am most looking forward to!



No comments:

Post a Comment