Monday, June 10, 2013

Chatting to young sailor, Euan Hurter


Royal Natal Yacht Club
Ola Lipton Challenge
Interview with Euan Hurter
Catching up with Morningside’s Euan Hurter on World Ocean’s Day, the keen sailor effervescently shares his passion for his water sport, sailing.

“A perfect day sailing requires plenty of wind, the right boat and a patch of water,” begins the dashing young man.

Continuing, “Sailing is a never ending, non-repetitive puzzle and game. Whoever plays the game best comes out on top.” claims the 17year old sailor.


“I spend most of my days trying to fly through school so I can I can get out on the water!” says the zealous sportsman.

Hurter is a Grade 11 student at Clifton College, “I am currently writing exams which are going well! But I am trying to balance my demanding school curriculum with my training for the Ola Lipton Challenge Cup that is taking place during the July school holidays!”

The talented lad isn’t all just about sport; he has an extremely cultured side that he is extremely proud of. “I play the flute and I perform in a couple of orchestras.


The six day sailing regatta is the curry cup of sailing where the leading sailors from around South Africa travel to compete for the honour of the Lipton Cup, “I think our training is going great! I am on board with a good bunch of guys who have been around the sailing scene I was brought up in. I am delighted to be a part of the team.”

“I have to say, definitely sailing Lipton at home is a major upside. Competing for the cup in our backyard is going to be a challenge but we are certainly going to give it our all to keep the cup in the trophy cabinet of Royal Natal Yacht Club.”

The young lad began sailing with his day early in life, “I have been sailing and on boats all my life! My first regatta was just crewing for my dad on a sprog back in 2006 when I was 10, but I only learnt how to sail when I was 12years old.”


Revealing what his favourite boat is to sail, Hurter smiles, “To my Dad's disappointment, I prefer our old Mount Gay 30 as the best yacht to sail on however nothing for me compares to the 49er. It's a handful to say the least but as close to sailing perfection as you can get.”

Our local talent dreams of breaking into the international circuit one day soon, “It wasn't much of an early goal but a 49er campaign would be awesome as well as maybe also joining the 505 circuit for a while. This is mainly around Europe but America could also be an option as my aunt lives just outside Boston. The goal is to achieve well internationally, not necessarily force myself into the Olympics or win at worlds but do as well as possible in what I would like to sail.”

Still being in school, the fledgling sailor has an already impressive list of sailing accolades. “My biggest achievement so far is winning the 2012 Dabchick Nationals and that is probably followed by winning the Youth Interclub Championships (Junior Lipton) on J22s.”


“I was among the PYC Lipton team last year that came fourth in False Bay. Up until then I had a few Dabbie provincials under my belt with a couple of good finishes. I was Point Yacht Club's Youth Sailor of the year in 2010 and Royal Natal Yacht Club's Youth Sailor of the year for 2012.”

With Youth Day approaching, this youthful seadog will be hard at work competing offshore of Durban in the SASKZN Provincial Championships, the first major event in the winter sailing calendar in our warm province.



No comments:

Post a Comment