Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Chatting to Skipper, Patrick Harris

Royal Natal Yacht Club
Interview with Patrick Harris



“Lipton is the most prestigious regatta in the country with South Africa’s best sailors competing! Just to be part of it is an honour but to win would be fantastic.” these are the determined words of Patrick Harris who hails from Kloof ahead of the Ola Lipton Challenge Cup that begins on Sunday.

Harris has the responsibility of being the helmsman of the Royal Natal Yacht Club’s entry Orion B2G2, “We are a new team on deck but we are getting better every single time we go out on the water. It is great sharing this experience with some seriously talented young sailors who are eager to do well!”



Harris, who started sailing at the age of seven in Pretoria on the Rietvlei Dam, is no stranger to big events, “I have done some long distance sailing, Mauritius and Gibraltar come to mind. I have competed in regattas in Europe, the UK, Australia, Hong Kong and also New York which was particularly fascinating but the best racing conditions are in Durban with a sunny southwester, warm seas, great swells you can’t beat it.”

Harris, a well-respected Flying Fifteen sailor, was recently crowned provincial champion along with his partner Jeremy Kriek, “I love sailing on most boats but probably my favourite is the Flying Fifteen which is a small two man boat. Jeremy and I have a fantastic understanding of each other’s strengths and weaknesses out on the water. It feels like I know what he is thinking when racing, we enjoy being out on the water and the results show this.” the sailor states proudly.



Chatting about life off the water, Harris spends his days working in short term insurance, “As with the rest of the economy, things are difficult and our business is no different. After school, I did all the usual things, bummed around the UK and Europe, then had to work, got married and now have a wonderful wife and two incredibly special children.” the dotting father says.

Hobbies outside of sailing, “I am an avid reader, enjoy watching cricket otherwise I can be a professional relaxer but haven’t had much chance recently to perfect these skills as training has been taking up most of my free time.”

The skipper is highly decorated, with some highly awe-inspiring awards, “I was selected to sail for SA twice as a youth, winning both the respective Youth Nationals and got a 2nd at the Laser Nationals out of about 80 boats, all a long time ago. Since then I have won a few Flying Fifteen Nationals and getting a 10th in the World Champs here in Durban was pretty special.”

“I still have a number of races that I would like to participate in, Cowes Week in the UK would be great, and so would Antigua Sailing Week in the Caribbean. Any international regatta wherever it is, still attracts me, sailors are an interesting bunch all over the world. Regarding long distance sailing, I must admit nowadays, I prefer aeroplanes.” he says smiling.



With the entire world all praying for our phenomenal icon, Nelson Mandela, Harris tells us with pride, “In life he has to be every ones role model, he certainly is mine! What an extraordinary person. He has taught us so much.”

“My nautical hero is South African Dave Hudson. When I was young, he seemed to win every national championship in every class and now he is still sailing internationally, having just returned from competing in Palma in Spain last week. He is nearing 60 and still is a force to be reckoned with on the water.”



“What I most enjoy about sailing is the different places you go to and the variety of people, most of them are passionate about their sport!”

Asked what a perfect day sailing would entail, the passionate sailor smiles, pauses and then concludes, “Winning the Ola Lipton Challenge Cup would be one, on the final day, crossing the finish line.”

No comments:

Post a Comment