Sunday, June 9, 2013

Chatting to sailor Chris Kloppenborg



I had the opportunity to catch up with up-and-coming sailor, Chris Kloppenborg when he was on dry land.

Preparing for the upcoming SASKZN Provincial Championship hosted by the Royal Natal Yacht Club that kicks off a busy winter season for South African sailors, Kloppenborg will be taking to the waters having just completed in the Colorpress Vasco da Gama.

“The Vasco was challenging but fun! We were sailing on an L34 named Zap and it was my second time competing in the biggest blue water event in Southern Africa. The race is a gruelling event testing not only your sailing expertise but also your mental and physical strength and I am happy to say I came out with a smile on my face having learnt a lot and enjoyed the experience!” said a chuffed sailor.



“I enjoy sailing on many different crafts but I must say the most exciting to sail on must be a Hobie 16, you are so close to the water, as you carve through the waves you can hear the water rushing beneath you; it is a complete adrenaline rush!”

The SASKZN Provincial Champs has three events competing under one banner, the brightly coloured smaller zippier Hobies, the L26 yachts and the IRC racing yachts, “It is going to be interesting with all of us sailing on one course! It certainly is going to be a colourful affair. More than likely I will be sailing on the bigger boat but have a few options as to which class I will be racing in.”

The young sailor first began sailing four years ago when he joined the 57th Durban Sea Scouts. “There are two main things I enjoy about sailing, firstly it clears my mind and when I’m sailing there’s nothing else in my head other than what I’m doing in that moment. Secondly I enjoy the challenge.”



With Youth Day falling on the same weekend as the SASKZN Provincial Championships, the 23year old sailor will be enjoying his time off studying as he relishes in his outdoor passion. “I am currently a student at UKZN studying a BComm, coincidentally the Commodore of the UKZN Yacht Club so if there are any UKZN students interested in getting involved in sailing, get in touch with the Student Union!” he adds.
Asked what his achievements are in sailing, he humbly responds, “Nothing notable.” But looking at his sailing accolades, this seafarer has completed two Vasco which is arguably the toughest ocean race in this country sailing down our challenging coastline. The international race starts in Maputo and concludes in Durban. He also competed in the Flying Fifteen Nationals in December where he came a competitive tenth in an extremely strong fleet.



“I am working on racing in a Cape to Rio; I am aiming to compete in at least one and hoping that will be my next big race. It takes place in February next year.” says a determined Northdene resident. Included on his sailing bucket list is an Equator crossing and some cruising around the Mediterranean.

Since matriculating, Kloppenborg has been studying mostly, “I joined my good friend James Egan for a few months last year in preparing his bike. James is competing in the British Superbike Series this year racing on a Stock 1000.”

When he isn’t fine tuning motorbikes, or sailing Kloppenborg has been heavily involved in Scouts, “I have been a scout for most of my life but this year I haven’t been actively involved with all my other commitments.”



For now, this fabulous young man will be scouting for wind offshore of Durban as he furthers his sailing career.


He concludes, “A perfect day sailing would entail flat seas, moderate winds with our perfect Durban winter warmth spending time with friends offshore of our city!”

No comments:

Post a Comment