Sunday, June 9, 2013

Chatting to young sailor Andrew Wadsworth

Ola Lipton Challenge Cup
Interview with Andrew Wadsworth



Sailing is in the makeup of Westville sailor, young Andrew Wadsworth as he prepares to take on the finest in the country in the Ola Lipton Challenge Cup.

Wadsworth says with a chuckle, “Some of the guys I am racing against have been sailing longer than I have been alive.” He says earnestly! “I really am looking forward to squaring up against the top guys; it gives me the opportunity to learn from the best in South Africa and showing them what I’ve got to offer!”



The 16year old tanned blond states proudly, “My grandfather, Garth Wadsworth was the Zambian sailing champion. I look up to him and can honestly say he is my hero.”

“Following in his steps of being a great sailor, I would love to compete internationally taking on the best in Worlds, mastering a class. I dream of taking part in a Volvo Ocean race, the tactics involved in that race are intense. You are pushed to your limits when you fly across oceans.”



Asked what his favourite yacht is, he says confidently, “A 49er. It is a smaller, faster racing boat. You usually have two people racing it and with the right partner, you can accelerate extremely fast which is very exciting.”

“I haven’t been sailing competitively for a very long time but I have spent a lot of time getting to know Durban’s waters. I get to crew on my Dad’s boat Therapy, often. I love the challenge of having to react quickly, working fast and just the feeling of being out on the water.”

The Grade 11 from Crawford College on the North Coast was crowned the first junior at this year’s Quantum Sails 9 Hour event at Midmar. “I was delighted with the result. It was my first sailing award. The first of many I hope!”



Chatting about how preparations are going for the biggest sailing event in South Africa, Wadsworth says, “They are going well! We are training hard and sailing harder. Every time I go out, I learn so much.”

“I am hoping that the winter conditions will be perfect for when we take on the Lipton Cup, surfing down waves with the kite up as the strong winds pushes B2G2 even faster. Now that would be fun!”

The fledgling sailor will be spending Youth Day perfecting his passion when he joins his team competing in the L26 KZN Provincials Championships offshore of Durban in preparation for the Curry Cup of sailing, the Ola Lipton Challenge Cup.


No comments:

Post a Comment