Friday, April 10, 2015

Q&A with awesome sailor, Mike Kavanagh from Ray of Light



I managed to catch up with Mike Kavanagh ahead of the upcoming Vasco da Gama to Port Elizabeth. 
This is what he had to say to the questions I three at him...

Family? 
Married to first mate Heidi and have been blessed with a wonderful son, able seaman Sean.

How many of them sail? 
Heidi and Sean are avid sailors, as are most of our family members. Heidi was born a von Bredow. Some of our family are sailing on the Fast 42, Nemesis in this race. My cousin Graham Cross just dropped anchor in Brazil on a lovely boat called Onyx that was built by my grandfather Harry Cross and finished by my uncle John Cross.

Which area do you live in? 
Oslo Beach, Port Shepstone in KZN

How did you get into sailing? 
I started sailing with my grandfather and uncle as a little boy, on a Flying Dutchman built by my Grandfather. Later, when I was 10 years old, we built a Dabchick during the school holidays, a boat I still own. The dabbie still has a scar from one of the steel marks on Emmarentia dam that I hit while staring at the girls on the windsurfers. In the good old days we used to sail for fun, very little racing. Maybe we should be doing more of that these days. I was privileged to crew on the family Stadt 23, Umoya on Vaal dam when not playing cricket, hockey or golf, which was seldom as a scholar.

What are your achievements in sailing? 
I like to think of myself a good seaman, thanks to the influence of Alex Cousins of Yachtmaster Ocean Sailing School. I have always been competitive in sports and have worked hard to improve as a racing sailor, being largely self taught by applying knowledge gained from a library of ‘go fast’ books, tested on Ray of Light and smaller Flying 15’s and J22’s. For me a notable achievement was being consistently competitive in the Cape Town club sailing scene with a fun loving mixed crew of old and young, men and women, physically and mentally challenged, novices, a couple of French girls and some elderly Hollanders was very rewarding. We enjoyed taking line honours in last year’s Vasco but were disappointed to miss out on handicap, so will be looking to improve this year. I was privileged to be part of Stuart Ritchie’s crew on the Beneteau First 40, BMA that took line honours and the handicap win in the 2011 Vasco. It was that experience that showed me what had to be done to Ray of Light and her crew to convert her to a club racer from a world cruiser. We have been improving our skills and the boat since then and now that we are Durban based, have wonderful close racing on the water and on handicap with Bellatrix (formerly BMA). One more achievement is to have survived a 360 degree roll on a Stadt 23 named Dejavu in a regatta offshore PE in the 1998 while we were debating whether or not to wear life jackets, we were struck by a breaking wave just outside PE harbour. I trust our arrival in PE this year will be less eventful. 

What other class of boats have you / do you sail? 
Apart from Ray of Light we have a lovely wooden decked classic Flying 15 called Femme Fatale that has a long history of sailing in Durban and Saldanha. We try to upset the carbon fibre speed machines in Durban from time to time. We also enjoy fishing on our little ski boat Sport’s Captain.

Best memory or moment that stands out for you so far in sailing? 
Sailing in the Southern Atlantic ocean was unforgettable, with spectacular bird life. Another highlight was watching a marlin chasing our lures while doing 15 knots downwind with the kite up when leaving the Canary Islands. Moments later we crash gybed as the helms person was distracted by the marlin and consequently had to head back to the Canaries for repairs. Returning Ray of Light to Cape Town from Luderitz, jury rigged after being dismasted (due to the failure of a rather light Sparcraft France factory fitting) in the 2012 Governors Cup, with my wife Heidi and 4 year old Sean was memorable. The week long slow motor beat with storm jib and a dabchick sized main into a building south easter while standing watch with my little boy was something to be cherished, as was the tuna we caught far offshore. Vasco 2014 was special as we had Heidi’s dad Pieter and sister Sigi on the crew with us. With Sean it was three generations. Vasco da pigeon joined us 25 miles offshore as we approached and entered to Durban harbour. Fancy a pigeon finding us way out at sea.

What do you most enjoy about sailing? 
I get great joy from being in God’s creation experiencing the freedom of the open ocean while being driven along by the power of the wind. The sea life is always amazing, it’s like an extended game drive! The concentration and focus needed to keep the boat sailing efficiently is a great way to get your mind off life’s other distractions and challenges. Most of all I enjoy sharing the experience with my wife and son.

What are you hoping to achieve in this year’s Vasco da Gama race? 
I would like to arrive safely in PE with the boat and crew in one piece. We have learned that despite rigorous and thorough preparation, unforeseen mishaps happen. I would like to sail the boat to its potential and perhaps catch a 20kg tuna on the way to PE or on the way back to Durban.

What has sailing taught you? 
So many things, including self sufficiency, innovation and problem solving. It has taught me practical skills like how to service a diesel engine, a marine toilet and to replace steering cables (remember to cross them!). Let’s not talk about black water holding tanks. Sailing has taught me the value of teamwork, clear communication, proper preparation and thinking ahead to anticipate what will happen next. It has made a weather man of me and taught me to work hard to fund the passion! Most of all it has allowed me to spend priceless moments with my family at sea and in the bay in a wide variety of circumstances. On a lighter note I have learned to avoid vomit flying from the weather rail and even tack naked as happened in last years Vasco when we got a little too close to the shore while I was down below trying to suit up for the night ahead and was called on deck in a hurry.

Role model in sailing? 
My Grandfather, Uncle and Father in Law who planted and nurtured the love of sailing in me.

Role model in life? 
Jesus Christ

What are you hobbies? 
Golf, fishing, garden cricket with my son
Besides sailing, any other sport you participate in / excel in? 
In the past cricket / hockey / golf, now days sailing and fishing take up most of the spare time with a little golf now and then.

Describe yourself in one word? 
Content

Where would you like to be in five years / what will you like to have achieved? 
I have no five year plan, never have. I try to live each day to the fullest and although difficult, try not to worry about tomorrow, as it will take care of itself.

Anything of interest that you would like to add:
My wife Heidi and son Sean who is now six, have done most of the 20,000 miles we have clocked up together on Ray of Light. The privilege to sail together has been immense; sailing is definitely a great family sport. It saddens me that there are not more families sailing together. I am hopeful that Heidi’s deteriorating physical condition will not prevent her from joining us for this race. We look forward to another voyage together and to sharing the experience with our good friends and crew in the Vasco 2015. We are especially looking forward to the duel with Nemesis, owned by Heidi’s sister Sigi and husband Anthony Bailes.



No comments:

Post a Comment