Thursday, April 2, 2015

Chatting to seasoned Laser sailor, Anthony Arbuthnot


Point Yacht Club
SA Laser Nationals
Interview with Anthony Arbuthnot

A regular face on the water most Saturdays, the quietly keen Anthony Arbuthnot is gearing up for the upcoming SA Laser Nationals at the end of the month.

Arbuthnot has been a regular competitor in the Durban sailing community over a number of years, “I’ve loved sailing from a young age, sailing Dabchicks at PYC. I wore my Dad down nagging, who eventually bought me a Tack. I designed and built an 8ft catamaran, at aged 11, called the Titchcat, which I sailed extensively in the Midlands, on Punch Barlow’s farm which is now Boschhoek. The scene of some spectacular capsizes.” he admits with a chuckle.



“I have also had the honour to cruise a bit of the world. A fond memory was when we sailed to America from Durban in 1982, and arrived at night in Fernando de Noronha, an archipelago in the Atlantic Ocean. The first time we hoisted our spinnaker on our Leopard 40 in the Caribbean with my whole family on board, to the sounds of Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack; that was a pretty surreal, fun moment.”

“Sailing is truly magical. The people involved make it so. The Laser sailors come from all walks of life and a huge spread of ages, and there is huge camaraderie amongst the men and women.”

“Besides being magical, it also teaches you valuable life lessons! Laser sailing especially teaches you great humility and that it’s no one’s fault but your own when you’re upside down, at the back of the fleet.”

Asked how he would describe himself in one word, he laughs stating, “Old!”

  
The Vause Road resident is completely entrenched in his neighbourhood, “I grew up in Vause Road, spending 20 years in our family home until I was 22years old. The last 20 years I have been happily married living in the house next door to my family home.”

“My beautiful wife of 27 years, Nicole understands and encourages my passion for the sea. I have three kids, oldest son James is 25, my daughter Alexandra is 19 and youngest, Guy has just turned 18. All of them sail on our Catamaran but none sail dinghies with me. Nicole used to crew for me on a Sprog, in the 80’s.”

Off the water, the seasoned sailor has a diverse range of activities, “Flying, I am lucky enough to have two aeroplanes and fly whenever I get the chance. And diving and the odd mountain and road bike ride. Oh yes, and cooking. I can cook up a storm.” he admits enthusiastically.


Chatting about his aquatic achievements, the eager yachtsmen said, “I have dabbled on Dabchicks, Mirrors, Tacks, Sprogs, Paper Tigers, Hobie 14 & 16s, Lasers and Flying Fifteens. Raced extensively on L26s then L 34s! Participated in a few RCOD speed attempts in the Vasco and from Richards Bay. Closest we came was on an Adrenalin, 43 Foot Cat, sailing 3 up at 28 knots average till we were hit by a Westerly off the Northern Breakwater.”

His role model in sailing is respected Henri Hiddes, “The most revered bowman in the Whitbread fleet, and the most fun guy I’ve ever has the privilege of sailing with! But in everyday life, I look up to my Dad.”
  

“I can proudly say my greatest achievement is that I am content. I am eternally blessed to have such a wonderful wife and kids, and I have the best friends a man could ask for. Hope the future years is as much fun as the last 50.”

Over the May Day weekend, let’s hope that the content Arbuthnot’s experience holds him in good stead as he takes on top national and international sailors offshore of Durban.


No comments:

Post a Comment