Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Chatting to up-and coming umpire Ansie Joubert


SPAR KZN Regional Hockey Tournament
Interview with Ansie Joubert

Newcastle has a rising star in hockey umpire, Ansie Joubert.

The motivated and driven sports star was recently crowned as the Most Promising Umpire at the annual Northern KZN Regional of the SPAR KZN Regional Hockey Tournament.

“I thrive on the energy that you always feel at a hockey field, there is always something happening.  I love the team spirit in hockey as well as the competitiveness.  I really enjoy the action.” the gentle Joubert states.



“I started playing hockey in Grade 1, all my friends and my sister played, so I joined them.  I have never regretted this choice.

Asked what a memorable moment on the pitch was, she claims, “For some reason the ones I remember most is playing through injuries.  One that especially stands out is playing evening league in Bloemfontein in winter, with legs cramping and ice chips hitting you as you ran, with no-one on the bench because they were all down with flu, we had to play through it.  Luckily we won that game, so it’s a good memory.”

“I am not playing hockey at the moment, but my main positions have always been left striker or left link.  However I was always happy to play where our coach needed me. I even played one game as goalie.” Joubert says smiling.

“Currently I coach Mini hockey as well as our schools under 13A team.  I have also been privileged to coach our under 13 district side for the past 3 years, this year will be the fourth.  I am lucky that I can live out my passion for hockey in a variety of ways, with umpiring now also added in the mix.”

“On the umpiring front, I have been umpiring informally since 2012, only umpiring for my hockey team while coaching. I have always been delighted to accept when other umpires offered to umpire for me.” 


Thinking back, Joubert recalls, “If I remember correctly the first time officially with the whistle, it went okay! Luckily it was not a big game.  Last year I umpired once, for our first team where I was rather a nervous wreck as I did not have a lot of confidence.  Luckily I umpired with a friend, who was willing to help me a lot.”

“This was my second SPAR tournament, last year I enjoyed supporting our team from the side lines.  At the regional this year, I was honoured to officiate in the final at Pionier High, where Ferrum beat Dundee. That would have to be the biggest game I have blown so far.”

Away from the hockey field, the motivated and driven sports start relishes aqua-activities, “Swimming is another favourite for me, I swim the Midmar Mile every year, and then I also take part in triathlons. I occasionally play tennis, scuba dive and have even tried surfing before.”

“I enjoy any kind of adventure, going out and doing new things. I also enjoy reading, drawing and travelling. I would still love to travel to Greece, hike the Inca trail in South America and then go sky-diving!”


“I had the privilege to summit Mt Kilimanjaro with my mom and a group of students, parents and colleagues from school in 2012, an achievement and experience that no one can ever take away from me. I am a farm girl, who enjoys being outdoors, being active and learning new things, whether it is surfing, skiing in Switzerland, rowing down the Orange River or hiking the Otter Trail. These experiences affirm the feeling that I have lived and hope to continue to do so.”

Continuing, the passionate teacher said, “After three years of living in London, I really enjoy the slower pace of life in Newcastle.  We have most things that we need here, it is a big town, yet everyone works well together and one can still have good relationships with people.”

Originally from Dundee, the young whistle blower works in Newcastle, and lives at the school she teaches grade 2s, “I am also head of St Dominic’s Academy’s Boarding Establishment which has its challenges but is rewarding.”

Her eyes light up as she concludes the chat, stating, “I still visit on my parents’ farm during the holidays, this is where I recharge and find my peace.”


No comments:

Post a Comment