Thursday, April 2, 2015

Chatting to World Champion, Colin Dibb


SA Laser Nationals
Interview with Australian Colin Dibb

I have had the honour of witnessing Australian Colin Dibb carve up local waters at the previous SA Laser Nationals in 2012, the wizard on a Laser returns to his former hometown, Durban three years later to compete again at the 2015 edition of the Nationals.

“Growing up in Durban, I loved the summer holidays messing about in boats on Durban harbour. And the legendary PYC pie for lunch on a Saturday followed by racing. Fond memories!”



“My grandfather was a keen sailor nicknamed Skipper, he encouraged my parents to let us go sailing at a very young age. He taught us some great lessons in self-reliance.”


With a string of accomplishments that any competitive sportsman can only dream of, put Dibb on anything with a sail, he is bound to succeed. In fact, he has! The list of achievements includes representing both South African and Australia at the Laser World Championships. Dibb is a World Grand Master Champ and a World Masters Champ in the Laser class. He is also no slouch on a keelboat, windsurfer or four different dinghy classes.


“I’ve had the honour of representing both South Africa and Australia at the Laser Worlds, 10 years apart.” a relaxed Dibb states.

Having been stuck on land for a while due to a shoulder operation, the upbeat character said, “Yeah, it was just a shoulder repair. General wear and tear! The recovery is going much faster than expected but I still missed four months of summer sailing.”


“I’d describe myself as impatient, and persistent. Perhaps persistence is my strength, otherwise why would I still be trying to sail a Laser after 40 years.” he says with a chortle.


“Durban is right up there, one of my favourite places to compete. Racing downwind in heavy air. Exhilarating, fantastic! But so is spots like Fremantle, and many other places around the world. Each place has a certain charm, and challenge to it. That is what makes sailing so interesting. Every time you go out, it is never the same.”

“My sports have enabled me to travel a lot and meet some wonderful people and see some fabulous places. Sailing has taught me a lot, mostly about the environment. To be ready for any shifts or changes and that plan Bs are ok.”


Chatting about if the sport of sailing is growing in Australia, he enthuses, “The Aussie sailing scene is very strong. They have great youth development programmes and coaching makes for big healthy fleets.”



“I love gardening, especially on a free Sunday afternoon.” I hear a snigger on the line as he continues, “Just joking. Free time is something I don’t have a lot of. I put a lot of hours back into the sport that has given so much to me.”

“Without sounding too clichéd, I would have to say my proudest achievement was starting a Laser 4.7 development programme in WA. We have produced some World Champions and potential Olympians. It truly is a humbling feeling helping the future generation succeed in something I am so passionate about.”


Asked who he most admires, he stops to think, “I would have to say Laser sailors still competing in their 70s. That epitomises passion and commitment. Being active in the twilight years of your sporting life, phenomenal.”


Concluding the chat, Dibb says his favourite saying is sail like you mean it. A whole fleet of Laser sailors is looking forward to this respected sailors return so he can do just that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment