Friday, March 13, 2015

Chatting to Up-and-Coming Field Hockey Umpire, Jason Naidoo


SPAR KZN Regional Hockey Tournament
Interview with Jason Naidoo

Asked how he would describe himself in one word, Jason Naidoo claims, curious!

Naidoo, a former pupil from Kingsway High School was recently elected as the Most Promising Umpire in the Durban South Regional at the SPAR KZN Regional Hockey Tournament where he was representing his Alma Mater.

“That was my third SPAR tournament that I was a part of! Our girls did well finishing in the top four and we all enjoyed ourselves.”


“The first time I picked up a whistle, I was in Matric.” the confident young man shares, “There was a shortage of umpires, so I was asked by my first team coach to help out by umpiring a junior girls’ match. We were taking on Hillcrest at Hillcrest.”

“It was rather nerve wrecking. Not wanting to mess up or show any bias, I tried my hardest to see everything I could through the bunched group of girls around one ball but I actually enjoyed it.” continued the cheerful gent.

That was five years ago and he is still going strong, both with a whistle or hockey stick in hand. “In my eyes, the fast paced nature of hockey stands out the most to me. This mixed with the physicality and technical skill required makes hockey my favourite sport! There's just something magical about being out on a just-watered astro on a hot day.”



The gorgeous young sporting star spends his working days being a Striker for Red Bull, which is an international term for members of their off-premise sales team; he is responsible for how the brand is communicated within retail and convenience stores.  

“My hobbies include playing sport and keeping active. I also really enjoy exploring new and interesting coffee shops and dinner spots. On the sporting front I participate in both soccer and cricket too. Recently I've taken up golf which is a whole new challenge but I'm enjoying it! I play in the defence as a left or right back; the thrill of defending your goal as someone descends is exhilarating.”

Talking about a moment that stands out for him on the pitch, he reminisces, “I have played a lot of hockey but one of my favourite moments has to be at the Stellenbosch festival in 2008. We made it, unbeaten, to the finals only to meet a local rival in Thomas Moore College. The number of supporters and the atmosphere throughout that match was special. It was the most closely-fought match I have ever been involved in. We unfortunately lost the final in penalties but it will be a match I will never forget.”



His motto in life reveals how determined he is, stating he says, “Set your standards high and never settle for less than you deserve!”

On his bucket list, the adventurous soul said, “At the moment sky diving is a big one on my bucket list! With a whistle, it would have to be blowing a Germany vs Australia game at the Riverbank Arena, where the 2012 London Olympic Games were held.”

Still residing in the town that he grew up in, Naidoo affirms, “We have the best people here in Amanzimtoti and in Durban! When you couple our beautiful, laid back people with our stunning, all-year-round, weather you realise we're living in the best city in the world!”


The highly motivated individual reveals, “I'm passionate about the community and kids specifically! I run a junior youth programme every Friday that involves lots of sport, fun and most importantly life skills.”

The Sports Manage at Kingsway High School, Kerry Warne included, “I have known Jason for 10 years. He’s always been a really good friend, always helpful and reliable. As a coach, he is very passionate. He loves his sport and is very loyal to Kingsway High. Even though he now has a full time job, he still finds the time to help us out on the weekends with coaching and reffing.”


Naidoo, together with nine other umpires will take to the pitch to oversee the Grand Finals of the SPAR KZN Regional Hockey Tournament in July. 


No comments:

Post a Comment