Friday, March 13, 2015

Chatting to up-and-coming field hockey umpire Ziyaana Booley


SPAR KZN Regional Hockey Tournament
Interview with Ziyaana Booley

Described as ambitious, determined, energetic and focused, Ziyaana Booley is making a name for herself in the hockey world.

Having recently been nominated as the Most Promising Umpire in the Durban North Regional at the SPAR KZN Regional Hockey Tournament, representing Northlands Girls’ High School, Booley together with nine other umpires from around KwaZulu Natal, will head to the Grand Finals to gain more experience.

“The SPAR tournament was my first time I umpired properly; I usually just stick to playing. So umpiring was definitely something new. Initially it was really scary but I think I soon adapted to it.” the beautiful young lady states.



Having played in three of the SPAR tournaments in the colours of Northlands Girls High, the budding umpire states, “I am very proud of myself that I have that experience now, being at the other end of the game. If I were to pursue an umpiring career, I would love to officiate in a game between South Africa and Argentina. Being in the thick of the passionate Argentinians and surrounded by players I admire would be utterly invigorating.”

When not umpiring or studying, the recent matriculant enjoys softball, cross country, swimming and life-saving. “I definitely enjoy coaching the little kids at Chelsea Prep and probably just cycling along the promenade for fun!”


“I am a defender when I play. I started playing when I was really young and it’s all thanks to my mom for taking me to mini-hockey from a young age. I love the fact that you never really know what is going to happen on the pitch or how you are going to play, it’s all just in the moment.”

Asked about a moment that stands out for her, she states, “Probably playing my last school game for Northlands with all my friends, everybody just had so much positive energy.”

“I enjoy playing hockey because of the competitiveness of it, and the fun and excitement you get playing the game.”



Sports Co-Ordinator for Northlands Girls’ High School, Cynthia Field enthused about her former pupil, “I have known Zee since Grade 8 and she is a very talented girl who does not like to brag about what she has achieved. She is very disciplined and trains and plays hard. She captained our hockey and softball sides, she is an accomplished swimmer and was house captain and sets very high standards for herself.  She is extremely fit and still holds the record in the school for the Beep Test got to over 100 shuttles!”

The fledgling sporting star who dreams of travelling to as many different countries as possible, claims her favourite quote is from the AMC series’ Mad Men star Don Draper, Make it simple. But significant! Her bright future promises to be just that, significant.



No comments:

Post a Comment