Monday, September 8, 2014

Chatting to Pro Golfer Stacy Bregman ahead of Cell C SA Women's Open

Pic by Rogan Ward
10 Things you didn’t know about STACY LEE BREGMAN


How many pairs of shoes do you own?
Let’s just say, I’m a lady who absolutely loves her shoes.
Ever been to a surprise party that was actually a surprise?
No, I haven’t!
I love to eat...
Ice cream
Worst present I ever received was...
Couldn’t have been that bad, because I can’t remember!
I like my eggs...
Sunny-side up!
My dream supercar is...
Maserati
What do you love most about travelling?
Getting to sample different types of food, the styles of cooking and meeting people.
What makes you laugh the most?
Stupid little things.
Do you carry photos of loved ones while on Tour?
Yes, on my phone!
 My favourite clothing item is...
Too many to mention.


Pic from www/ladieseuropeantour.com
90 Seconds with STACY LEE BREGMAN


Any bad injuries?
I tore my rotator cuff in my left shoulder and also broke my arm when I was younger.
Most unforgettable moment on tour?
Spending time in Prague with my best friend, Frances Bondad and also a dance video a few of us players made to a song.
What is your favourite movie/TV series/programme?
Shawshank Redemption and Breaking Bad.

What is your favourite {fashion} accessory?
My jeans.
If you could learn a new/foreign language, which would you choose?
Spanish
What would the title of your autobiography be?
“Learning to be yourself”
Road trip or air-travel?
Road trip
Your favourite South African city?
Cape Town
If you hadn’t become a professional golfer, what career/profession would you have pursued?
Either accounting or physiotherapy.

Pic from www.sunshineladiestour.com
“CHASING YOUR DREAM”:

Stacy Lee Bregman’s pursuit of golf at the end of 15 must have come as a complete shock to her friends and family, who presumably believed she would be more inclined to continue her impressive run in karate and athletics. The 1.6m tall, blue-eyed brunette had achieved her South African colours no less than seven times in karate, clinched her provincial colours for athletics and has a 2004 Sportswoman of the year award from King David Linksfield School.
“I didn’t start playing golf until my late teens but I was always involved in sport at various levels, so it must have been natural progression till I found what I was looking for.”

Now living her dream competing as a professional golfer on the Ladies European Tour (LET), Bregman says the path to success and to realising your dream is often a difficult and challenging one.

“It’s not an easy ride with everything handed to you on a plate – you have to constantly work hard and have to experience various obstacles and hurdles along the way to make you a better person both on and off the greens.”

Fortunately this charming and talented young lady had the full support and encouragement of her family and coach.

“Luckily I’m surrounded by people who believe in me and my talent which made it easier for me to chase my dream of becoming a pro. My coach Neville Sundelson has been an amazing influence in my life, a strong and positive mentor who constantly motivates me to be and to do my best.”

” Humble and motivated, Bregman believes her natural determination and adaptability have made the transition from amateur to professional a relatively easy one.

“When you’re determined to make your dream a reality, to live your dream, you will work as hard as you possibly need to and that describes me and my approach to life in general to a T. My best advice to young ladies wanting to compete on the pro circuit is that they must be prepared for and want to do all the travelling required because if you can’t manage with that aspect of your career, it will have a negative impact on your emotional strength and ultimately on your game.”
Stacy’s favourite moment as an amateur was when she won the world amateur championships, an achievement she cherishes to this day.
”There’s no better feeling than being rewarded with a win. It’s a sweet and precious moment that stays with you forever and has the power to lift you at times when you’re going through a slump in form.”
Her positive attitude and determination to succeed have paid off on the LET.
Last year Bregman competed in 17 tournaments, posted three top-10 finishes, tied for secnd at the South African Women’s Open, tied for 6th at the Aberdeen Asset Management Ladies Scottish Open, tied for ninth at the China Suzhou Taihu Open and she finished the season ranked 51st on the ISPS Handa Order of Merit.

Her advice to budding youngsters wanting to chase their dreams? “Go big and by that I mean, the sky is not even the limit – you can achieve whatever you want if you put in the hard work and make the sacrifices.”

Bregman, who celebrates her 28th birthday on 7 October, is not all work and no play. “I’ve learnt how to balance my life and how to switch gears when not on the course. I love listening to music, watching sport on telly and reading mostly sports biographies.”

The Johannesburg professional is looking forward to competing at the Cell C SA Women’s Open from 16 to 19 October at the San Lameer Country Club. “I’ve had a good 2014 thus far, having broken into the top 15 on the LET money list and would love nothing more than to win on home soil. This is probably my best season as a professional golfer, I’ve grown and matured and am so much stronger mentally, so I’m really looking forward to competing in KZN. The SA Women’s Open is a fantastic event, one which all South African pros are proud to compete in.”


Pic by Rogan Ward
San Lameer Country Club:

Have you played at the San Lameer Country Club before? 
I have but it was a very long time ago.
What do you feel will be the most challenging part of competing at the San Lameer Country Club?
I think the weather will be a big challenge particularly the wind.
What do you like most about this venue?
The coastal line is absolutely magnificent.
What are your expectations/targets for the Cell C SA Women's Open?
I would love to win my home event but I’d also happily take a top five finish.

Q&A by Renelle Naidoo

No comments:

Post a Comment