Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Chatting to Pro Golfer Paula Reto ahead of Cell C SA Women's Open


10 QUESTIONS WITH PAULA RETO


Your favourite holiday destination is...
Hawaii

Most embarrassing moment on tour/at a competition was...
Without question during my first event when I shacked the ball right in front of the spectators.

Growing up, my sports idols were...
Tiger Woods and Annika Sorenstam

My biggest dream is...
To become the best I can be!

My most successful course is...
Hillcrest in South Florida where I shot a 62.

My worst injury was...
Thankfully, I haven’t had any bad ones.

I miss (what/who) most when I’m away on tour?
My sister and my dog, Putter!

Which 5 adjectives describe you best?
Friendly, competitive, helpful, caring and positive.

I would want my legacy to be...
That Paula Reto was a nice person and a great golfer.

My lucky charm is...
I don’t really have any specific that I would regard a lucky charm.



10 THINGS YOU DIDN’T KNOW ABOUT PAULA RETO


The type/genre of music you like listening to in order to de-stress or psyche yourself up?
R&B and sometimes a bit of Hip Hop

I love (cats or dogs)?
Both

My favourite period in my personal history was...
When I was a child and had no worries!

If I could be anyone (sportsman/women/celebrity/personality/icon/legend) in the world, I would choose to be...
Myself, but I would also want to be a celebrity.

I prefer (air, road, sea) travel...
I love road trips but that is sometimes limited so I have been getting used to air travel.

My favourite colour is...
Orange

My pet peeve is...
Can’t think of any.

I am a (morning person or night owl)...
Definitely a morning person.

My biggest challenge has been...
Getting used to all the challenges on tour and of course regularly flying long distances.

If I had a time machine, I would turn back/fast-forward the clock to the year...
I’m content with the way my life has evolved and I have really enjoyed all the experiences I’ve had, even the obstacles I’ve overcome because those have shaped the person I am today and helped me appreciate and love my family and friends even more because of their support and encouragement.



FEATURE: LIFE ON TOUR


Just over a year after turning professional, Cape Town born Paula Reto is anxiously awaiting the start of the Cell C SA Women’s Open at the San Lameer Country Club from 16 to 19 October. Although she is becoming a familiar face at LPGA tour events and at USA golf courses, Reto has not yet had the opportunity to participate in South Africa’s oldest women’s professional golf tournament.

“I will be competing in events before the Cell C SA Women’s Open tees off, but I’m very excited about participating in my first SA Women’s Open. This tournament has so much history and has provided an excellent platform for many South African golfers to go on to succeed abroad, so for me it’s a proud moment and one in which I hope to play the very best I can.”

The 24-year old, based in Indiana where she’s majoring in Law and Society at Purdue University, has quickly moved from amateur to professional, especially when you bear in mind that her decision to play golf and pursue the sport professionally was less than 10 years ago.
This bubbly up-and-coming young lady credits her father Paul as her biggest inspiration.
“My dad inspired me to chase my dreams and was very supportive and still is – I’m blessed to have his positive influence and encouragement.”

Paula radiates enjoyment and love for the sport she’s chosen to give her all to.
“I love playing on Tour every week, travelling, playing on different courses and meeting different people. Every week is an adventure.”

Constant and long-distance travelling is not everyone’s cup of tea, but for Paula it’s just one of the perks of the job.

“I was prepared mentally and physically for this lifestyle but truth be told, I really do enjoy the unpredictability, packing and unpacking bags, visiting different cities and I wouldn’t trade these experiences for anything in the world.”


Although still new to the professional circuit and young in years, Reto is very mature and has a strong and determined mind. Though yet to travel extensively abroad, she has already given thought to certain obstacles or barriers along the way.

“I have thought a lot about getting around and conquering language barriers but I did take some Spanish classes while at school which I’m hoping will get me by. It’s also somewhat difficult to maintain your specific dietary requirements while on Tour but fortunately there is always a buffet option at tournaments. The food is usually good which helps because it’s the closest we get to a home-cooked meal for a while.”

Reto says the psychological aspect of the game can sometimes take charge but stresses the importance of a strong, healthy and determined mind.

“It can be very challenging to stay strong, remain positive and to psyche yourself up when results are not going your way but you just have to persevere, keep telling yourself or reminding yourself that you’re better than your results suggest.”

During her amateur career, Paula bagged several notable achievements including: 2013 First-Team All-American by GWCA; individual third place finish at 2013 NCAA Championships; named 2013 Mary Fossum Award winner for low stroke average in the Big Ten Conference; three-time First Team All-Big Ten Conference Selection (2011 to 2013) and was a member of the 2010 NCAA National Championship team.

After turning professional in June 2013, Reto played on the Symetra Tour – Road to the LPGA and recorded a season-best third-place finish at the Symetra Tour Championship and she finished T13 at the 2013 LPGA Final Qualifying Tournament to earn Priority List Category 12 for the 2014 LPGA Tour Season.

Those who know young Paula Reto will be sure to tell you that she dreams big and works very hard to achieve her goals.

“My short-term goals are to continue playing on tour and to be successful, of course! And, my ultimate dream is to become World Number One.” 


Although focused on her goals and targets, Reto certainly knows how to let her hair down and have fun while at “the office”.

“I have had some really funny moments while on Tour but I think the funniest was at the 18th - I hit my shot into the water and barely missed the car that was stationed in the water. It was funny just barely missing the car but not so funny landing a shot in the water.”


San Lameer Country Club Pic by Rogan Ward


San Lameer Country Club:

Have you played at the San Lameer Country Club before? 
No I haven’t, but I’m really looking forward it.

What are your expectations/targets for the Cell C SA Women's Open?
I’m going to do the best I can and would love to do really well in my first SA Women’s Open. 

Q&A done by Renelle Naidoo

No comments:

Post a Comment