Monday, May 6, 2013

Chatting to International model Jay D'Engle


On setting eyes on the exquisite Jay D’Engle, you can picture him donning GQ or FHM magazine covers, but the humble down to earth chap is a surprising package.

The determined figure who was born and raised in Doonside, D’Engle was home schooled for his entire school career. “I completed school at 15 and left home at 16 to pursue a competitive dance career.”



With the experience he gained, he opened up a professional dance studio. “One of my dreams is to travel the world. I started sailing again as this was a means to make my dream become a reality. I took to it like a duck to water and was soon offered a bursary to get my skipper qualifications. This is where my sailing career started.” D’Engle says smiling.

D”Engle who has just made a break into the international modelling world with modelling shots of him adorning massive billboards as far away as India claims. “When I was living up in Pretoria three years ago, I was at a beauty pageant supporting my girlfriend. The male models hadn’t pitched and they announced that they needed representatives, and if any ladies in the audience thought their guys were good looking, to pull them up onto stage. I went up and ended up winning the event.”



“Shortly after that I entered and won a News Café Competition and then entered the Mister Pretoria and Manhunt SA for fun and made the finals of both.” states the chiselled frame.

It was only in August last year that the young man decided that this is what he wanted to do for a full time career. “This is all still new to me, but my goals would be to feature at the International Fashion Week, and land a campaign for Hugo Boss or Armani.” he says with a twinkle in his eye. “But eventually I would love to get into film.”



D’Engle comes from a big family, with three elder sisters and two older brothers, “My family are scattered all around the country. I am a twin and I can proudly say I have the best sister in the world; her name is Jasmine and is 23seconds older than me. My parents are planning to sail the islands later this year, lucky buggers!” he remarks.

He continues, “My Dad, He is the most amazing person and utmost Gentlemen, I inspire to be as great as him one day.” He pauses, “and maybe as good looking but he set the bar pretty high.” A beaming D’Engle says.



D’Engle is now based down in Cape Town juggling running his own dance studio with a busy modelling career, “I moved down to the Cape in November last year and started Dancerxise. It is a fitness dance class similar to Zumba except with Latin steps incorporated. It is something I designed for myself to practice my dancing and to keep me in peak condition, I couldn’t survive longer than 25minutes and that is when I decided it is a fantastic fitness routine.”

Asked what his hobbies are, he responds, “Card magic, cooking – I am a strict Vegan and I follow a fabulous diet to keep my body in shape. I don’t drink or smoke. Every day I wake up, gym for two hours, and then hit the beach and gym again in the evening. I am very content with my life.”



The beautiful man has his provincial colours in sailing, as well as his U/18 Protea Colours for Ice Hockey where he competed in the U/18 World Championships. He qualified as South Africa’s youngest internationally qualified Latin American dancing instructor at age 18 but says that the best event he ever won was the Commodores Cup at the Round the Island Yacht Race held annually in Gauteng.

“I headed up a sailing campaign for the Sail Africa Youth Development Team and took them to a second place in the provincial championships. It was the most rewarding seven months of my life. Something else I am extremely proud of is, when I was seven, I was the youngest in South Africa to do a firewalk over five meters of burning hot coal, that was a lasting memory!”



Asked what is on his bucket list, he says enthusiastically, “Since I was a kid, I have been dying to rollerblade 1,000km to raise money for a charity and I will do this before I get too old.”

The alluring, charming local concludes, “I strongly believe you have to live every day as if it is your last, in joy, harmony and peace.”

ENDS

No comments:

Post a Comment