Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Brothers Rudy and Michael head off to compete in Canada


Point Yacht Club
Kingston Laser Worlds Standard Mens
Kingston, Canada: 2 – 8 July

Brothers, Rudy and Mike McNeill prepare to pack their bags as they head off to the Kingston Laser Worlds Standards Mens in Canada from 2 – 8 July.

On the back of the SA Laser Nationals held in Durban at the beginning of May, the sailing duo have had a good build up to this massive event where only 158 sailors are being allowed to compete. The competitors will be split into different fleets with roughly 50 boats lining up at the start.

Rudy (24) has an notable CV in the Laser class, having travelled to all parts of the world representing South Africa. Last year was not a good year for the young sailor, “I was out for most of last year with injuries, so it was a welcome return being back on the water and able to perform. I was happy with the rehabilitation of my injured knees and ankle. Leading up to the KZN Champs and Nationals, Mike and I worked hard to improve, pushing each other which helped to build up both of our confidences quite a lot.”



This is the one and only opportunity the two lads representing the Point Yacht Club have to qualify for the Rio 2016 Olympics.

“There were times I had to dig deep at the Nationals. It wasn’t all easy, I got two sixes but fortunately I won the other races on those days. I kept telling myself to get over the previous race, focus on the new one. My mantra became ‘You are Rudy McNeill, do what you do, don’t worry! Enjoy it.’ It worked wonders.”

He admitted, “If you look at the starboard side of my mast, I wrote my name there to remind myself of where I have come from and where I want to go! If ever I doubted myself, I would just look at that, know that I am experienced and build from there.”



Older brother Rudy has had the good fortune of competing in Kingston before, having competed at the ISAF Youth Worlds when he was 16. “I have been lucky enough to compete in Kingston before, so it isn’t completely foreign to me. But big fleet racing is always challenging especially the start, the huge jostle on the line with everyone trying to get into a good position. The starts can make or break your race.”

20 year old Michael has just moved up to the full rig which has a bigger sail. Big brother Rudy boasted, “Mike is still 10kg to light for the full rig. If he puts on a bit more weight he is going to go much faster. In the recent nationals, he was only three points off experienced sailor, Campbell Alexander, so he did quite well. In the light winds, he cooks but he needs a bit more confidence in the stronger winds.”

Canada in July is glorious, and the waters off Kingston offer some of the best fresh-water sailing in the world. Having previously hosted the 1976 Olympics at the Portsmouth Olympic Harbour, it seems fitting for the McNeill brothers as they tackle a week of epic sailing in the hopes of qualifying for the Olympics.

For more info visit www.pyc.co.za  

No comments:

Post a Comment