Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Land Rover 4x4 Experience

When asked if I would like to go off-roading for a course at the Land Rover 4x4 Experience, there was no hesitation in accepting.

I have never had car envy, driving on the roads, I vaguely know most of the makes; models I could busk my way through half of them but driving my hard-working, determined little utility van getting from A to B is always a pleasure. I however have to confess, sitting in the driving seat of a Defender, staring down an uncharted puddle while you crest a rocky mound certainly was an unforgettable experience.

After the rains, early on a Sunday morning, we met high above the Inchanga Railway Station. I believe the first test was correctly navigating the driveway up to the venue. Chatting to Mica Dawson ahead of the course, she claimed the driveway was the warm-up for the event.

The car park was full, mostly with posh gleaming new 4x4s, eager owners keen to get their pride-and-joys a tad bit muddy. Our group mingled ahead of our briefing, consuming coffee and muffins at the welcoming desk and soon enough, we excitedly made our way back out of the car park. My co-driver, Adrian whom I shared the experience with, had previously called shotgun and had the keys tossed to him. We found ourselves at the back of the slow moving convoy, gradually edging back down the driveway.

Halfway down, each vehicle got their first actual
lesson about going off-road. An instructor leaned in through the window, explaining what buttons or gears did when engaged, and then moved up the line to the next vehicle, leaving you to get to know your vehicle as you mounted through divots, dug out holes and waterholes. At the base of the steep hill, Instructor Mark kept a watchful eye, assisting with directions as you crawled towards him.

After successfully making our way down the hill, we all drove to the Inchanga Valley. This picturesque setting certainly whets everyone’s appetite to go exploring off the beaten track more. We made our way slowly crossing through streams, drove at precarious angles, clambered over rocks and eventually made it through the valley. All unscathed, and everyone buzzing wanting more, the adrenaline evident.

I would have to say the introduction to 4x4 was tame; perhaps I had too many images of vehicles playing stuck in the mud or precariously with one wheel in the air, not getting any grip. I discovered that tyres do make a huge difference. Our little Jelly Bean, the Defenders gorgeous name, was kitted out in these huge sturdy shoes that certainly pulled us up or along in a couple of situations.

I also discovered that there are different ways to handle a steering wheel when off-roading seriously compared to just joy riding on the tarmac. Thumbs are essential if
you are kart driver, but thumbs should always be facing up and not wrapping around the wheel comfortably. This is encase you lurch over a rock and your steering bolts to the side unexpected, which it is renown to do over craggy terrain.

My only complaint, the experience ended far too quickly! I left wanting more, which is a good thing. Driving home on the road, the journey felt disappointing gracefully avoiding all the cars on the relatively smooth roads.

And I have to admit, I may have caught myself looking longingly at a few muddy, rugged 4x4s in passing. The bug has bitten…


For more info or to book visit http://www.landroverexperience.co.za or contact Land Rover Experience on 031 783 4209.


No comments:

Post a Comment