Friday, August 1, 2014

Chatting to Umpire Tarryn Woodroffe


SPAR KZN Regional Hockey Tournament
Umpire Profile: Tarryn Woodroffe

“I love all sports and love being involved in any way I can whether it is in the organisational side, playing, umpiring or even just watching.”

These are the passionate words of Pietermaritzburg’s Tarryn Woodroffe as she sits on the side of the hockey pitch observing the unfoldings of the gold silver game at the SPAR KZN Regional Hockey Tournament.

A minute into the game, Durban Girls College slot a well-crafted goal into St Anne’s net, “I play sweeper or centre half and a while back I saved a shot at goal by Henna du Buisson at an IPT off the line, behind the keeper. That moment is still one of the best moments that I have had on a pitch.” she claims impressed by the attack that just occurred!


The young umpire representing Pietermaritzburg Girls’ High School in the grand finals was selected as the Most Promising Umpire of the ‘Maritzburg Central Regional, displaying a level head and superb knowledge of the game during the tournament, she was given the honour of looking after the bronze game that had her school take on newcomers Westville Girls’ High.

“The game was pretty intense with both teams playing extremely well but my girls managed to score two goals so we got a third place after a hard weekend of hockey!” the smiling official shares.


Talking about her experience, she said, “I umpired a semi-final in the South African Women’s Country Districts Tournament not so long ago. That was also really exciting.” she adds, “I was playing in the final so I couldn’t umpire that!”

“I was very nervous but I was surprised at how much I actually knew.” Woodroffe admits when she chats about her first time she had picked up the whistle. “I started umpiring when I left school but would say that I have been umpiring proper teams for about three years.” She states proudly.


“With all the international games that are taking place, our girls participating in the Commonwealth Games at the moment, I would love to take to the field to officiate our girls when they take on Australia. To be a part of that must be such an adrenaline rush.”

Continuing, she says, “Playing hockey actually is an adrenaline rush for me, I just love the game! Hockey is in my blood I guess. My whole family plays hockey! Both my aunts played for South Africa and my cousin, Jade Mayne, is currently playing in the South African Women’s team.”


With a twinkle in her eye, she enthuses, “I want to go and watch my cousin Jade Mayne play in Brazil at the next Olympics. I am working towards ticking that off my bucket list. That and going and watching Wimbledon.”

Her determination shines through as she comments, “There is no such word as can’t! I had a back operation or fusion a few years back and was told I would never play hockey or squash again BUT I refused to take no for an answer and have since played even better and at a higher level.” 


Chipping into the conversation, coach for Girls High Taryn de Winnaar sitting near contributes, “Tarryn started with us this year but her and I have played hockey together for a while. She is a close friend and I really value what she has to offer. She has a super work ethic, always prepared to work hard and always willing to learn. She has the potential to do very well not only with her umpiring but also in her profession!”

Bashful, Woodroffe picks up, “Coach Div and I are involved in the U16 basketball team this term. Under Div’s guidance, I have been very fortunate to learn so much in the short time I have worked at Girls’ High. It always helps working with someone so talented and passionate.”


“I am helping every now and then with off season hockey training but we have now switched to basketball as our main focus.”

In her scarce free time, Woodroffe enjoys running, a game or two of squash, swimming and cycling. “I am playing at the women’s IPT in three weeks’ time in the B section for South African Country Districts and am very proud to be the Captain of the team.”



“I have been out of action for a couple of years owing to having my two little boys, Zac and Rory and have been recovering from a groin repair operation from last year but am going to give it my all and see if I still have what it takes with the stick as opposed to with the whistle.”

No comments:

Post a Comment