Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Chatting to Hockey Umpire Donovan Rothman


SPAR KZN Regional Hockey Tournament
Umpire Profile: Donovan Rothman

Armed with a whistle, Margate’s Donovan Rothman is making an impact in the hockey world.

Chatting about the first time he picked up a whistle, Rothman admits, “The first time I picked up a whistle, it was in an early morning game in Pietermaritzburg, a Men’s 1st division game. The guys weren’t in the best of moods but it went ok.”

That was almost ten years ago, now the more experienced player was recently nominated as the Most Promising Umpire for the Ugu Sisonke region. Representing the Southcity Christian College, Rothman will be travelling to Durban to officiate in the finals of the SPAR KZN Regional Hockey Tournament.

This was his third regional tournament that he has been a part of. “The biggest game I have blown was the semi-final of the South African Country Districts Men’s Tournament last year; I think I did a fairly decent job.” The retail store manager from Uvongo says smiling.


Talking about what he most enjoys about hockey, he states, “I love the team spirit on and off the field.”

Continuing he says, “I don’t play anymore due to a back injury but I give back to the sport and schools by umpiring. It is nice to show the kids the other side of the game; I believe it gives them a better appreciation.”

Rothman’s wife, Kelly is a Grade R teacher at Southcity so he loves to get involved helping at the school. “I help out at a few other schools as well.” said the proud chap.

“I started playing many, many years ago, for me hockey was better than playing rugby. I just love the game!” 

The workaholic who used to play right half, nowadays clears his head by hitting the road, “I am a keen marathon runner. I find being on the road relaxing. The simple monotony of running allows me time to think and just have a break from the everyday bustle.”

Chatting about a moment that stands out for him on the pitch, he proudly shares, “I remember umpiring a game where John and Peter Wright played and they backed a call I made against their team. That simple acknowledgement was so affirming for me.”

The South Coast lad, given the opportunity, would love to officiating in an Olympic final, “If I could umpire any game in the world it would be between Germany and Holland at the Olympics. To be a part of that occasion would be such an honour and to be amidst the giants of the game, the energy, the pace and the precision would be mind-blowing.” Continuing he says, “Hopefully the Olympics will be held here soon!”


Concluding the tall athletic frame shares, “I truly believe that you have to live today as if there is no tomorrow.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment